Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the good basics (suggestions?)

Options
  • 20-06-2011 3:57pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well lads,
    Myself and the mrs are looking to do a week of camping in the coming weeks, I've previously done research on this and I've had stuff in mind as I was going to do some touring last year on the bike but it never happened.

What we want:
    - We want to cook as much food ourselves as we can
    - Good quality material (but within budget)
    - We want a decent sized tent with a porch

For cooking I've picked the Trangia 27 Non-Stick Cookset With Kettle & Spirit Burner.
    41vz5ea2bCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For the tent I've picked the Vango Beta 250 Tent
    410P8TxyN9L._AA300_.jpg

With shipping its coming in around 170e from amazon.co.uk.

Our requirements for the tent are a decent size, quick enough to put up and a decent porch area where if its pouring out we could sit and cook if we really had to (though yes I know not 100% safe).

If I could get a similar sized tent for cheaper or get the stove cheaper it would be ideal (I'm doubting I will), anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Hey, Cabaal. Let me ask you: what are you planning for this trip? Is it go somewhere and set up for a week, or are you going to be carrying kit at all?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This time around, drive down to cork/kerry then upto claire, mayo, sligo and further if we can fit it in. Looking at one day in each place maybe two depending on how much we want to see.

Everything this time around will be in the car but I'm hoping next year to perhaps do some touring and perhaps go with the car to the UK to camp as well. So I'm kind of thinking long term.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Anyone have any thoughts?

Ah, okay, so if you're working from a car, then weight's no issue. That tent is heavy, nearly 5 kgs, but that's no issue to you and it has plenty of room and good stats.

The Trangia cookset will probably be too small and slow for you liking. The point of Trangias tends to be that they are light and use little fuel, but working from a car, then I'd suggest a nice gas burner along with a pot and pan. Gas cooks fast, it's simple, clean and very easy. You can also vary the heat, so you can cook anything you can cook in a pot/pan at home. I'll have a gander at what's currently on offer and see if there's anything that fits the bill for you.

In general, though, the really expensive stuff for the outdoors is the ultralight stuff, and since that's not a concern, you have a lot of freedom ion what you buy. You shouldn't need to spend so much on a cooker/tent combo if you don't want too.

Also, remember that tents keep you dry, but it's sleeping bags and kip mats/air matresses that will keep you warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

As Donny 5 says, the Trangia is slow; it works great with a gas burner instead of the standard meths one, but that adds a good bit to the price.

I use one when I'm carrying gear, but if I'm travelling by car I use a camping gaz stove, it's faster, has 2 rings and the gas can be bought in campsites and most supermarkets in tourist areas.

Take a look at the online Argos catalogue, you might get some ideas there. The tent looks fine, Vango are a good brand.

• Advertisement

Fair points about the Trangia,

In my purchases I'm trying to plan ahead in relation to picking a stove as I do plan on doing some touring at some point and after looking into availability of fuel, cost of fuel and cooking time (not terrible fast) the Trangia seemed the best overall choice over gas as it would mean I wouldn't have to buying a whole new different stove/fuel later down the line.

As for the tent yeah its heavy enough so it would pretty much count it out for touring, keeping warm won't be an issue and being comfortable won't be either as we'll have a double inflatable bed to sleep on.

I want to ensure there's plenty of room and if it does pour out of the heavens we have an area to stay dry in that isn't also our sleeping area.

The alternative to the Vango Beta 250 Tent I've been looking at is the Vango Alpha 300 Tent, its cheaper and lighter ( 3.65 kg v 4.90 kg) but concerned about the porch size, also unsure if this even would be suitable for touring so would it even be worth getting it for that reason.

My alternative would be to perhaps buy the Vango Beta 250 for the trips with the mrs and then for touring buy something like a Coleman Bedrock Two Man Tent as its only 2.5kg and would still give me LOADS more room over the likes of the Gelert Solo One Man Tent for panniers etc

To be honest, you're not going to get much overlap between gear suitable for cycle touring that also fits the bill for car camping. That said, that doesn't mean you'll have to spend a lot twice.

For cooking with the car, something like this burner would be very good. A large flat burner is safe to use in the porch of a tent (with the Trangia isn't), is zero mess (solid fuel and alcohol can leave soot on your pots and pans), it has a controllable flame and the canisters are cheap. Just bring a household pot and pan (or pick up a cheap set in Tesco or Amazon), and you're good to go.

When it comes to cycle touring time, if you want to go with an alcohol stove, this would be my recommendation. It's cheap, ultralight at about 300g, takes alcohol and solid fuel, and it stacks into itself.

You can pick both of those up together cheaper than the Trangia set above, and you'll have better tools for each job.

Tents are another matter, but with the exception of the disgraceful Gelert Solo, I haven't slept in one in years. The Vango one will probably suit you fine and they are a good brand. It ticks all the right boxes, anyway, double walled, high hydrostatic head and has a porch.

Just one thing from experience, and not to be too preachy, but you should never use spirit burners inside a tent or porch, even the supposedly spill-less ones.

Advertisement