Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im going to Silverstone & camping there...any advice??

Options
  • 20-06-2011 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

As above, Headin over to Silverstone with one of my friends next month. We are driving over so should be a good few days!

Any tips or do's or dont's over there @ Silverstone? Iv been to Elec Picnic so i understand the buzz of the camping and the likes :pac:

Just some general pointers, Apart from have a great time and drink lots of cans of heiniken!

Thanks gents

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

A couple of friends of mine went as foot passangers and hired a van over there, it worked out around the same price as bringing the car and they slept in the van as it rained when they were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Its a great buzz camping at the circuit. I did it in 97 and 2000 and really enjoyed the atmosphere.

When I was at the MotoGP last weekend it took ages to get out of the circuit, about five hours to get to Heathrow!, so the main advice to give you is to make sure you're travelling home on the Monday morning!

There should be concerts on throughout the weekend as well which are always good. I was talking to someone at the MotoGP and they were saying that Santana played at it one year. I havent heard if there is an "F1 Rocks" for Silverstone but they always have good acts playing.

As far as advice at the circuit the new section is fantastic with lots of great viewing areas as well as the classic challenge of places like Beckets and Stowe which are amazing places to watch a Formula 1 car at full tilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

frostie500 wrote: »
    Its a great buzz camping at the circuit. I did it in 97 and 2000 and really enjoyed the atmosphere.

When I was at the MotoGP last weekend it took ages to get out of the circuit, about five hours to get to Heathrow!, so the main advice to give you is to make sure you're travelling home on the Monday morning!

There should be concerts on throughout the weekend as well which are always good. I was talking to someone at the MotoGP and they were saying that Santana played at it one year. I havent heard if there is an "F1 Rocks" for Silverstone but they always have good acts playing.

As far as advice at the circuit the new section is fantastic with lots of great viewing areas as well as the classic challenge of places like Beckets and Stowe which are amazing places to watch a Formula 1 car at full tilt.

Thanks for taking the time out to write all that out for me !

We are getting the ferry to Holyhead then driving straight down the M6 to Milton keynes. It won't be too bad of a drive.

I'd say the campsite is a mega craic! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Did the trip last year. You'll have a great weekend. Campsites are top notch, very good facilities and clean too. We were in one that was up near club corner and they had a big open area at one end where they had concerts and had big screen for the world cup final. Plus stalls selling food and beer too. Great atmosphere.

My only previous camping experience had been oxegen (twice) and this just does not compare at all. Properly laid out campsite and generally nice people in it too. Plus having the car parked right beside the tent is also very handy! Anyway you're going to have a great time, and hopefully see a good race too!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just some general pointers, Apart from have a great time and drink lots of cans of heiniken!

find a nice beer :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Heading over again this year myself. Been there the last few. We normally stay in Whittlebury park campsite. About 10 minute walk to the track. nice and chilled out, no hassle, no one acting the maggot. Beer tents, shop, stage for bands every night, good facilities, coulthard appeared down there last year for a little q and a, and the red bull pit stop challenge set up in the beer tent too. £50ish for camping per person from Thursday till Monday morning.

Weather was fantastic for the weekend last year. Hopefully it'll be the same again this year. It about 4 1/2 hours from holyhead to the circuit including a stop.

The only 'do' i would say. skip the F1 after party at the track and head for the pits. We got into most of the garages last year, helped the HRT lads load one of the cars on the truck being the highlight!!, got a pic with buttons nosecone too , got very close to lots of the cars and the engineers/teams didn't seem to mind once you were just looking and not in the way. Except the Toro Rosso guys!

Looking forward to it again. Enjoy the weekend.

How did you get into the pits??? We tried a couple of times and no joy at all. Security guards at the pit exit who wouldn't let us past and then couldn't get in through the back of the paddock cos it was all fenced up? Watched some of the support categories packing up tho and nearly got run over by barrichello on a moped :D

How did you get into the pits???

We were walking the track. Got to the pit straights and just past the entrance to the pits, where there is a barrier and a few security guards, there was a little gap in the wall with no security there, just walked in. There were at least 20-30 other people that done the exact same thing. We did get asked to leave twice by security and walked towards the exit as if we were going then just wandered over to the next garage :D One of the virgin engineers we got chatting to was John O'Mahony's nephew(former Galway and Mayo football manger).

Ah thats deadly! We were trying to chance our arm and get in like that too but just couldn't find anywhere with no security guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭smartaform

Anyone dealt with' intentsgp' before??
    I'll be heading to the Belgian GP and was looking at these guys.. Other option is just take our own and stay a short drive form the track...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Acidflash wrote: »
    Heading over again this year myself. Been there the last few. We normally stay in Whittlebury park campsite. About 10 minute walk to the track. nice and chilled out, no hassle, no one acting the maggot. Beer tents, shop, stage for bands every night, good facilities, coulthard appeared down there last year for a little q and a, and the red bull pit stop challenge set up in the beer tent too. £50ish for camping per person from Thursday till Monday morning.

Weather was fantastic for the weekend last year. Hopefully it'll be the same again this year. It about 4 1/2 hours from holyhead to the circuit including a stop.

The only 'do' i would say. skip the F1 after party at the track and head for the pits. We got into most of the garages last year, helped the HRT lads load one of the cars on the truck being the highlight!!, got a pic with buttons nosecone too , got very close to lots of the cars and the engineers/teams didn't seem to mind once you were just looking and not in the way. Except the Toro Rosso guys!

Looking forward to it again. Enjoy the weekend.

That's a very good review, just what i was looking for! , Sounds good about getting into the pits too.
    We have the camping tickets for Whittlebury park asl well. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I think you have covered everything there!

Cheers

Alan

That's a very good review, just what i was looking for! , Sounds good about getting into the pits too.

No bother. got lucky last year with the pits. Gonna try and get in again this year for the hell of it, probably be a lot harder with the new ones but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Advertisement