Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law, Part-time in DBS

Options
  • 20-06-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct section but here goes! I'm thinking of applying to study law part time in DBS in September. I only work 3 days a week in Dublin city and am still young at 24. I already have a science based degree and masters. What I was wondering was what nights of the week the course runs and also whats the work load like part-time? I've no doubt that it'd be a tough course to do part-time. I've always wanted to study law but would never have gotten the necessary points in my LC. Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Cathal O

Hey,
    I am not 100% sure but i am not sure if the part time dbs law degree is accredited anymore, i think you better first contact the kings inns and the law society to find out if the degree they are teaching is a recognised course. After all the amount of money you will be paying you need to be sure if it is worth it to get you to the minimum law institutions to be a solicitor/ barrister if you know what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Whatever_fools

The Law degree in DBS is recognised by both the Law Society and the Kings Inns. There was an issue previously when the existing accreditation that was attached to the Law degree in Portobello expired and it had to go back for re-accreditation (if thats the right word!) after DBS bought Portobello. Thats all sorted now. There are a few Law students in my ACCA classes (dont ask me how they are doing both!) and they rave about it. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LazyFecker

DBS' problems seem to be ongoing, or so some friends of mine who graduated from there this year have said. By this they did not mean the accreditation issue, but rather the general standard of education that they impart.
    On the positive side of things, if you have a previous degree, you can do the LLB in dbs in only 2 years.

The part time degrees in all the fee paying law courses are the same as the full time degrees, just they are done at night time between 6 and 10.

If you are set on a college in town, you might prefer to have a look around the corner at independent colleges on dawson street. they probably have the best reputation at the moment of the 3 fee paying colleges. They also run a night time degree, though i dont know if they allow graduates access onto the second year of their program. They are certainly very accomodating to prospective students, for example when over half the final year law degree from DBS transferred to independent, during the accreditation problems at DBS.

Griffith is also a good option that seems to be recovering from the exodus of a few of their top lecturers.

Would consider GCD over Independent for sure. I have a friend who started a Business degree in Independent colleges part time and has applied to transfer to Griffith because of the standard of the teaching. She was also seriously let down last September when they cancelled the full time degree at the last minute. I know there are different lecturers but i think that speaks volumes. DBS has more than 9,000 students at the moment so i think thats a safe enough bet. GCD has an excellent reputation also. Isnt there a huge action being taken against IC at the moment in relation to their law school?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LazyFecker

I'd take your comments on board regarding studying business, but for law i would be of the opinion that independent is probably the best way to go at the moment. That said it really is all a matter of preference.
    DBS has a lot of issues that still need to be straightened out.
    GCD definitely has a decent reputation.
    Independent does have a case being taken against it, but nothing to concern prospective students, and certainly not to the level of cases being taken against other colleges (i.e. that would affect professional credibility or recognition).
    Nonetheless, it's all a matter of opinion and choice. Whichever suits a person best is the route to go for. I know students who have gone to all three, and i am merely reiterating feedback i have received.
    At the end of the day, a good student should get fairly comparable results from all three.

• Advertisement

"DBS has a lot of issues that still need to be straightened out"...not sure what you mean by that and to be honest, for a college thats been around since the 70's with over 9,000 students I am a little bit sceptical about your motives for saying that. As a current DBS student I can tell you that I have not experienced anything that would warrant me even considering moving. The administration is a little hit n miss but the standard of teaching and recognition is not something that would ever concern me. HETAC, LJMU, University of Wales, PSI, ACCA, CIMA, IACP, Law Society and Kings Inns all recognise / accredit relevant degrees. It is the newer colleges with 3/4 courses that would worry me.

Advertisement