Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just bought a Cello, i play guitar.

Options
  • 19-06-2011 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

ok so i just bought a cello and ive played guitar for quit a while and im pretty well. But ive never played cello (until like yesturday when it got here) and i pretty much know absolutly nothing besides how to hold the insturment from what i found online. Please some one Help. I don't have money for lessons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cello+lessons+for+beginners&aq=1&oq=cello+l

Better than nothing. :) I've found some (for violin) to be quite good.
    Best of luck in your new endeavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Celloist wrote: »
    ok so i just bought a cello and ive played guitar for quit a while and im pretty well. But ive never played cello (until like yesturday when it got here) and i pretty much know absolutly nothing besides how to hold the insturment from what i found online. Please some one Help. I don't have money for lessons.

You absolutely should try to get a few lessons starting off so that you don't develop really fundamental bad practices which will limit you hugely. It's not really like playing guitar at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DonkyDonk

I got a violin a few years and have struggled with it since. The lack of frets, tuning (they tune to fifths, guitars tune to fourths or something) and bowing technique is a killer. Soooo screechy!

Just spend a few hours playing it every day. I recommend you get all the sheet music you can and learn that way. After a while you will notice that the tuning makes a lot more sense on these instruments than on a guitar.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Celloist wrote: »

Can you read sheet music...??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

From someone who has played classical string instruments for decades (I can play violin & viola); do yourself a favour and get lessons or else, as has already been mentioned, you'll develop some very bad diabolical habits that will not do you any favours; your intonation, technique, and sound will all suffer the worst for it.

It will also take you quite a while to become in any way competent, so I'd be looking a bit beyond your first '10 week lesson' courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Hey, so I picked myself up a bargain decent Cello, and got the replacement string it was missing, and have checked out the German chap on youtube, who I found very good, and instructive.

What I am worried about though is that I may have the bridge the wrong way round. I haven't been able to find any clear instruction on the Internet about this point.

When I received the cello, the bridge was placed so that the curve was more pronounced at the C String side.

I had to do a little quick fix on the saddle part with a piece of twine as the cord has pop out while I tuned, and when I reset the saddle, I mistakenly turned the bridge the other way, i.e. the Pronounced Curve at the A string side.

I noticed this and figured it was wrong side since the curve on the Fingerboard is clearly more pronounced at the C String Side, it actually angles in suddenly.

Anyway I got the new string and set about restringing the entire lot with the new strings and old strings, as the person who had previously stringed the other three had the strings wound under the pegs for two of them and over for the other, which I didn't like.

I reset the Bridge again, the original way I'd found it, i.e. with the pronounced curve at the C string side, but then when I was going through some bow exercises, and just messing about high up on the D string I noticed that the higher i got the sharper the angle between the bridge and where I was fingering, and consequently it became increasingly difficult to not hit the A string or G string, and at a certain point it became impossible. (At least while maintaining the bow in the Sweet spot.

So now I'm confused, that maybe inspite of the curve of the Fingerboard, it would be better to have the curve on the bridge at the A String side as it would probably prevent this happening, but I don't really want to keep detuning and retuning to change it again until I'm sure.

Can anyone advise please?

Just by way of further information, the highest note I can play on the D String without this occurring is the high 'E'

Just changed it, when I tried the A String it just seemed way too far away from the finger board, like so far that fingering high up made me concerned about breaking a string so I figured that can't be right, so maybe if someone could just confirm I'm right now that'd be great thanks.

Advertisement