Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LapTop Problem anyone Help?

Options
  • 19-06-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Laptop - Advent Intel Core, Duo, T2080, 1.73 GHz 2048MB, 100GB, DVD+/-RW.
    Software – Vista Home Premium

Hi Folks I have a problem with my laptop. When I hit the on button I get the normal black screen with the Progress Bar running. Normally it lasts around ten seconds before it switches to the log-in screen. Only problem is that it’s not switching to the log-in screen the task bar is constantly running?

Thx in Advance…………….

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Know nowt about vista which was a bit of a diaster in itself but in win xp if you hit F8 (probably same in vista) repeatedly when you see the black screen and you should get into 'safe mode'

and from their try a system restore and if that fails go back into safe mode and run a few scans in case you have a virus. I'm no expert but would start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beanok77

Try hitting f8 just after u turn the power on.

Then try to to run safe mode, run your anti virus programme see if you have a virus.

if you can run it in safe mode I wouldn't say you have a serious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Thanks folks will try and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

The progress bar is checking the internal components of your machine. Right at the end you should get a beep and the num lock, caps lock and scroll lock LED's should flash which indicates the memory check has passed. If not, try reseating the memory.

Ok solved the problem :D

I did a bit of reading up on possible problems / solutions and had a look at the system restore option but my system was not backed up, so I looked at the new programs and up-dates that I recently installed. I checked all the programs that I had recently used and found a problem with Google Chrome which I up-dated two days ago. I managed to un-install Chrome in safe mode then re-start everything ehh ok, so staying away from Chrome on my Vista machine in the future ;)

ps. Thanks for all your suggestions folks..............;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Ok solved the problem :D

I did a bit of reading up on possible problems / solutions and had a look at the system restore option but my system was not backed up, so I looked at the new programs and up-dates that I recently installed. I checked all the programs that I had recently used and found a problem with Google Chrome which I up-dated two days ago. I managed to un-install Chrome in safe mode then re-start everything ehh ok, so staying away from Chrome on my Vista machine in the future ;)

ps. Thanks for all your suggestions folks..............;)

Google Chrome would certainly not cause a system not to boot, could be a faulty hard drive, I'd be keeping a backup anyways jic

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Google Chrome would certainly not cause a system not to boot, could be a faulty hard drive, I'd be keeping a backup anyways jic

Nick

Ok I'll back up to be safe so'

Thx Nick.......................

yoyo wrote: »

Nick

Why do you think that Chrome is not the problem considering that my system showed a problem with it and everything was ok after I un-installed Chrome ?

Thx.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Why do you think that Chrome is not the problem considering that my system showed a problem with it and everything was ok after I un-installed Chrome ?

Thx.

Google Chrome does not install any drivers or sort of functionality that would cause such a problem, the system restore might have worked, but do a backup anyways

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 25 aicushen

My advent laptop has the screen going black on and off and getting more frequent It shuts down quite suddenly as well
    The cd drive and usb port are not working either
    It is only 15 months old and PC World tell me I have no comeback as the warranty is up
    Is it banjaxed?
    Can anyone suggest any action to take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

I'd suggest trying a static discharge first. Secondly, login to safe mode if you can and check if you can login that way. If you have the option within safe mode, try running a scan of the PC if you can.

Thanks I've tried that Ran the safe mode etc. but its still shutting down unexpectedly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭mr1percent

The screen going black on and off could be a symptom of a faulty inverter. But with the other issues it sounds like your motherboard is having power issues. If you look at the usb ports are any of them damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭big man andy

mr1percent wrote: »
    The screen going black on and off could be a symptom of a faulty inverter. But with the other issues it sounds like your motherboard is having power issues. If you look at the usb ports are any of them damaged?

If it's a faulty inverter, it will go lack when the initial BIOS splash screen appears.

Try SAFE mode again and run a full scandisk to see if there are any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭mr1percent

If it's a faulty inverter, it will go lack when the initial BIOS splash screen appears.

Try SAFE mode again and run a full scandisk to see if there are any issues.

Sorry,
    to avoid confusion I was replying to aiscushen's error
    The blacking screen,no usb or drive error seems to indicate power issue on mobo. I am asking about usb port issue as if port damaged it could be earthing off the case.

Thks to all for advice I'll keep trying

The laptop seems to be running OK for past four days, fingers crossed.
    The drive and USB port stll no joy with
    Is there any solution or should I bring it to a tech guy?
    I have already had it at PC World and had no reply to my complaint that it is only 15 months old yet but I'll keep trying

Thanks all you techie people out there

Advertisement