Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the Leaving

Options
  • 19-06-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I think I may have to repeat my leaving cert this year as I don't feel I have done enough to secure my course. Should I apply to repeat now or wait untill I know for certain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mty92

No don't think about repeating until you are absolutely certain, it should be a final resort in fact. I am repeating and regret it big time, I honestly found it more difficult to study this year then last year and many other repeats agree. The biggest problem is complaceny, if you repeat you don't feel like doing anything for a few months which is the biggest problem. Take my advice don't make the same mistake I did on what courses you want to do in college, instead decide what career path you want to take and base your cao choices around that decision. A year in a college of further education would be a better choice than repeating in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Don't jump to conclusions about your results just yet. The exams aren't even officially over, and you never know how well you're gonna do!

As the previous poster said, base your CAO around a career rather than a course. There is nearly always another way to getting into your preferred career. Do a PLC or do a course from which you could do a post-grad. It would be better than re-sitting the leaving. Move on to the next level some way or another:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jamiered81

Thanks for that.. Yes I had taught of doing another course but I am already doing a course to get into another course so I was thinking would it not be better to repeat for one year instead of doing a 3 year course then going into a four year course followed by another course. Where are you repeating?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I was just thinking along the same lines.

Does anyone know if we can still apply for PLC courses or would they be all sold out this time of year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

karaokeman wrote: »
    I was just thinking along the same lines.

Does anyone know if we can still apply for PLC courses or would they be all sold out this time of year?

There will be places in some PLC courses right up to September.
    Relax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

jamiered81 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.. Yes I had taught of doing another course but I am already doing a course to get into another course so I was thinking would it not be better to repeat for one year instead of doing a 3 year course then going into a four year course followed by another course. Where are you repeating?

Generally post-grads are only about 18 months - 2 years. However I don't actually know what you're looking to do. A lot of PLCs are only about a year I think. I'm not repeating, this is my first time around.

Advertisement