Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega cyber attack

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Unless they are using a weak encryption scheme then the passwords should be ok.

Regardless the usual rules should be followed with passwords anyways; using random letters, numbers and symbols, changing passwords frequently and never using the same password twice.

Bit difficult these days with all the different sites requiring login credentials but still essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

That's where something like Lastpass comes into play. Allows you to make stronger passwords and you won't forget them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Personally I use this site to generate passwords, just copy a string of characters from a random part of a field and you're good to go! Nice, big entropy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

T0mmyM wrote: »
    That's where something like Lastpass comes into play. Allows you to make stronger passwords and you won't forget them.
    Until they get hacked, then we is all screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

Yes, however that was a relatively minor incident. I changed my master Password when I heard about that just to be on the safe side.

From a PC World article:
    PCW: If someone had what you'd consider a strong master password, then, would they have any reason to be worried at this point?
    Siegrist: No. None.
    PCW: What steps are you recommending users take now?
    Siegrist: If you used a strong master password, even if anything had been taken, there shouldn't be any cause for concern. If you used a weak master password, there might be a little more risk, but it's kind of a one in a million kind of a risk based on the total amount of data that was transferred. If you used a weak master password, it's probably wise now to replace it with a strong one and look at your most critical sites--your banking, your e-mail--and think about changing those.
    I]Author's note: LastPass is also requiring some users to change their master passwords with the service as a precaution.[/I
    You're alot safer with something like LastPass than without it IMO.

Advertisement