Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA in the Olympics?

Options
  • 19-06-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what would be the arguments for/against MMA being introduced as an olympic sport.

The only negative that I can think of is maybe it would dilute the pro game as people might want to stay amateur to go to the olympics rather than turning pro.
    I know this isn't a problem in boxing but maybe it would in MMA as its still only in its early stages in a lot of countries. But to be honest I don't think this argument holds much water, but its the only negative I can think of at the minute.

I think it would give the sport a lot more exposure to a worldwide audience and could only be good for the sport in the long-run.
    Any thoughts on this?

Should MMA be an olympic sport? 32 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    21% 7 votes
    Undecided
    78% 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

In the 2008 Olympic boxing, both finalists had to fight three times in four days. They'd be required to wear headgear and heavier gloves, which would change the grappling game. It would also mean less knockouts and more decisions. In the Olympics they like very defined judging systems and MMA does not have that now

No top fighters are going to be competing. The guys who are signed with the top promotions won't be allowed

MMA still holds a bad image with a lot of people and there would be many obstacles in getting it cleared for the Olympics

Before MMA could be included in the Olympics, it would have to become a recognised sport by the IOC. That would mean that there would have to be an MMA governing body (like FIFA for football)

Karate can't get into the Olympics yet and on a worldwide participation level, that is a more popular sport than MMA

I can't see it ever happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Also if you look at the mma fighters in the UFC you will see that the majority are from USA,Brazil and Canada with maybe a few fighters from different countries. This would lead to these countries becoming totally dominant at the Olympics. Other countries would maybe only be able to provide one or two top class fighters between all the weight classes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Get BJJ into the Olympics before MMA , imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Get BJJ into the Olympics before MMA , imo.

Too similar to Judo, MMA needs world governing body or there is no chance of it been in the olympics.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

cowzerp wrote: »
    Too similar to Judo, MMA needs world governing body or there is no chance of it been in the olympics.

Yeah i was reading up on it and it's basically derived from Judo so it would be too similar. The IBJJF are firm on the policy they want to one day get it into the Olympics. Probably too soon for 2016 in Rio even though that would be a great starting point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cowzerp wrote: »

At least we'd have leg grabs & guillotine choke's allowed.

Judo fought at a high level is a million times more exciting than even the very best BJJ fights, but I'd still love to see (at least) simplified leg grabs allowed back in instead of the overly complicated crap we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Matter of opinion, i prefer BJJ

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Anything called Brazilian anything or Irish Or American anything will never be entered into the olympics. I think it's more likely you'd see 'Grappling' introduced to the Wrestling categories with something like FILA no-gi or ADCC rules. It's all very unlikely though, everytime i read anything on the olympics it's their trying to reduce the number of sports and athletes. adding a weight class sport would also introduce loads of categories.

i think many nations would also be opposed to it. brazil might get 10 extra gold medals by having grappling in the games and this would be good for the points for over all success in the games.

it's a minority sport in which one or two countries will dominate and unlikely to happen soon.

MMA by far the bigger and more attractive option would not lend its self well to the schedule of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Certainly MMA (and BJJ for that matter) won't be in the Olympics in the next 20 years at least, or more likely ever. As to whether it should be or not, I voted no.

As an Olympic event, you'd get into realms of head guards, quick standups, points for particular techniques etc. It would end up like pankration (which was also pushing to be a demonstration sport at the Athens games) more like MMA-lite than actual MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

All good points. I never thought of any of that.
    So basically if MMA was ever put into the olympics it'd be so stripped down and regulated that it wouldn't be pure MMA anymore.
    Bit of a shame really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

As ridiculous as it may sound I can see MMA being an olympic sport in 30 years. As the sport continues to grow on both a professional and amatuer level so too does its demand and credibility. While the traditional martial arts will never die I'd consider MMA more popular than all the Olympic martial arts disciplines except for boxing. With the sports continious growth I'd eventually love to see the day where the Olympics needs to legitimise itself by including MMA. As was said before I imagine it would involve headgear, and the scoring may be different like boxing in the olympics but we are still a long way out from these technicalities. When you look at how far MMA has come in 20 years I think it is unfair to say it will NEVER be an olympic sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Indie. wrote: »
    Also if you look at the mma fighters in the UFC you will see that the majority are from USA,Brazil and Canada with maybe a few fighters from different countries. This would lead to these countries becoming totally dominant at the Olympics. Other countries would maybe only be able to provide one or two top class fighters between all the weight classes

I don't see how that's an issue?
    It pretty much applies to a ton of sports out there.

I'm just pointing the above out, I'm not arguing for it in the olympics. it won't and shouldn't happen. Why do people see the olympics as beign the pinnacle of sports? It is for track, and pool sports. But boxing, football and various other sports are decided at a professional level.

MMA would need to be toned down so much so that they could fight with enough frequency to have a competition, that it wouldn't be anything even close to enjoyable to watch imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

NO it's not a sport but animals doing what they do!!

HELL No!!

Sport!!! what sport???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

robertxxx wrote: »
    NO it's not a sport but animals doing what they do!!

HELL No!!

Sport!!! what sport???

Animals? but wait, there are Equestrian events on the Olympics. Animals are more than welcome ya silly sausage!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Voted no, for the reasons mentioned. It would be watered down completely. Head gear, bigger gloves, probably ban knees and elbows etc.

Can you imagine someone bleeding in an Olympic match like Noons did the other night at Strikeforce?

I can see how you'd like it, to make MMA more mainstream and acceptable, but the cons far outweight the pros IMO.

Advertisement