Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stencil Art??

Options
  • 19-06-2011 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Just wondering is it possible to make a bit of money from stencil art this summer? I can make absolutely any stencil in any size of any celebrity etc and just want to see is there a market out there for it?
    I had been doing A4 stencils spray painted onto canvases and selling them for a few euro but there didn't seem to be much of a market at the time!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated by everyone!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Can I see a sample of your work? I have recently gotten into this style of painting myself (for about a year now) and know a few people who do it. Most come from a graffiti background and their work can sell for large sums but it really depends on the quality of your work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

Doc wrote: »
    Can I see a sample of your work? I have recently gotten into this style of painting myself (for about a year now) and know a few people who do it. Most come from a graffiti background and their work can sell for large sums but it really depends on the quality of your work.

I've came from a graffiti background myself and spent many years doing it and just as i was getting better last summer I gave it up and had to concentrate on the Leaving Cert!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/misterzest/ There's a photostream of my work but a lot of the stencils I have done on that photostream I didn't like! They didn't come out right at all because I was using completely different equipment to now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

What did your friends write by the way!?

Most of the guys I know tend to weatpaste more which I have done too (although I have stenciled on the street too) and was how I met them one of the guys dose huge pieces his name is Drab and another guy called Rone their work is great I'm still very much learning.

If you want people to buy your work then it has to be in some way unique. Are you still making single layer stencils of famous people? If so unless it is done really well or you have some quirk in your work like its famous musicians sprayed on vinyl records or something then it may not sell as people can just buy a poster of famous people for less.

Street art is becoming more and more main stream but still has a cool edge to it so you could easily find people willing to buy your work if its good. I gave a couple of things to people as presents and some of their friends asked me if I was selling any but I didn’t think I was good enough to be charging people for them although I might in time.

I really need to get back into cutting because I haven’t done any in a bit now but here are two I gave to friends.http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m542/DocSplat/DSC02823.jpghttp://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m542/DocSplat/IMAG0021.jpg

I don’t know if its alright with the mods or not to post it on here Boards rejected my idea for a street art forum so I’m reluctant to post too much about it, but I am a member of another website that is all about street art and it has helped me come on leaps and bounds with my stenciling. If you PM me I'll send you a link to it. Its Tutorials section is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Doc wrote: »
    I don’t know if its alright with the mods or not to post it on here Boards rejected my idea for a street art forum so I’m reluctant to post too much about it, but I am a member of another website that is all about street art and it has helped me come on leaps and bounds with my stenciling. If you PM me I'll send you a link to it. Its Tutorials section is excellent.

Post away - once you are within the charter and not advertising/selling or flaming - personally I love street art and would love to try my hand to some stencilling, but have never gotten around to it.

• Advertisement

Stencil Revolution Really good site and the people on it can and will help you learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Budah

if you still need help, i could give you a bit of advice and help :)

heres a stencil i did last summer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-wjpScU9J8&feature=relmfu

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Bit of a shot in the dark here but here goes. I'd love to have a mural/stencil in my history classroom to commemorate The 1916 Rising. Would anyone know someone who might be able to help with this?

Advertisement