Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

used and abused by yard owner

Options
  • 18-06-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I have been working for a yard for years lately they have gotten it to breeding have a few stallions and are using AI I have been asked to assist with collecting from stallion and AI mares is it unreasonable of me to expect to be paid for this, as is outside of my regular hours and on occassions have gone in especially to help out

They are getting between 200 and 400 euro per covering (getting between 3 and 5 mares covered per collection) and I have tried to tackle subject but not getting anywhere

I always loved my job but lately I dread it as I feel they are just taking complete advantage me:(

I have always loved working with horses but I am not a teenager looking for experience I have a child and a mortgage

Please am I being unreasonable or are they:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If you go in at your own accord to help out, no. If you go in because they ask, yes.

It actually depends on the size of the yard OP. I wouldn't expect small, less profitable yards to pay for over-time but the bigger yards should.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 champie

They ask me to help. I have been asked to go in on my days off to help out. This could add up to 10 or 12 hours in a week.

It is a large yard with a good turn over

Why is it people in the horse industry expect so much for nothing if the love of horses paid my bills I would never have problem again:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Don't put up with it. Put it down in writing what you want changed and stick to your guns!

Reliable professional yard staff are worth their weight in gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

Check your contract. You do have a contract don't you? Many people seem happy to enter the work place with nothing on paper whatsoever, it comes as little suprise when 'work creep' starts. Your employer is expecting you to work as much as they do, but you're not the yard owner, you won't have the financial rewards from the offspring of breeding etc. Seriously, in your next yard, insist on some form of written contact which specfies your working hours, time off, lunch breaks etc, to save you from this kind of problem in the future. In the meantime try to get something on paper from your current employer, it protects you as well as them from any kind of abuse and can often help remind people that we all have lives outside of work.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

If its outside of your normal work hours, I'd tell them next time that you cant because you have another part time job. Leave when your hours are completed for the day (within reason) and tell them your doing another job for someone else at x o' clock. If they want you there for those extra hours, they'll have to pay you!

You have bills to pay too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement