Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy house training advice

Options
  • 18-06-2011 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm looking for some puppy house training advice.

I have a 15 week old Lab cross that is peeing on his bed in the house. I got him from a rescue at around 12 weeks. While at the rescue he was housed with his litter mates. The mother was not present. He sleeps out side at night and spends probably about half the day indoors when someone is around to watch him.
    He uses an area of the backyard for his toilet and doesn't pee/poo in his kennel. I have an area of the kitchen that is his bed when he is in the house. I had a piece of vet bed for him but have swapped it for newspaper because he keeps peeing on it. When he is in the house I regularly take him outside to the toilet and praise him when he goes. He doesn't poo in the house and will go outside himself, if the door is open, to poo when he needs to. However, he seems to have established an association with peeing on his 'house bed'. I have cleaned his pee with bleach/floor cleaner but now understand this is a bad idea due to the ammonia.
    when he's in the house I try to watch him closely and catch him in the act, which isn't always possible. When I catch him, I scold him and put him outside. Is there a better/alternative approach or do I just need to be patient and stick at it?

Thanks,
    Millbay...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Dubnatural wrote: »
    Hi,

I got a puppy who is doing the same and it took me a while to train him but try this it works!! when he poos where hes not supposed to give out to him and stick his nose into it.. he will fast learn not to do it!!

This is not the right way to housetrain a pup - in fact it's cruel.

The best way to way to housetrain a pup is to bring him outside frequently and praise the pup when he goes to the toilet.

Crate training also helps.

EDIT: just noticed - joined today, 2 posts and both to do with cleaning products. :rolleyes:

Advertisement