Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstallation issues

Options
  • 18-06-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

i have an old median pc with xp.
    Started getting and ''disk read error'' and then so it boots from cd
    Soemtimes get an NTLDR is missing error

But during format and reinstall everytime it eventually fails to load or find some file from the installation disc
    So i tihnk its either the harddrive thats physically broke or windows is corrupts and the dvd drive is kind of broke and can't reinstall it
    The bios works and the setup disc does recognise the HDD and its partitions.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

pockets3d wrote: »
    i have an old median pc with xp.
    Started getting and ''disk read error'' and then so it boots from cd
    Soemtimes get an NTLDR is missing error

But during format and reinstall everytime it eventually fails to load or find some file from the installation disc
    So i tihnk its either the harddrive thats physically broke or windows is corrupts and the dvd drive is kind of broke and can't reinstall it
    The bios works and the setup disc does recognise the HDD and its partitions.

Download SeaTools for DOS and run a long scan of you hard drive (choose the CD/Floppy image whichever is convenient). You boot off this CD as if its the windows disc and you can use your mouse to choose Tests>Advanced test. Run a quick test first as if the hard drive is very knackered this will pick it up usually. Sounds like faulty hard drive especially getting the NTLDR error

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Clean the cd ,does it have scratches,its probably damaged .Can you borrow a cd from someone,xp home,or pro whatever you have now,use the format existing media drive option.
    does the drive format ok.You could try installing linux mint x86 version, fits on 1cdr .You ,ll need acess to a pc with a cdwriter and 1cdr ,use imgburn free program to burn the image / iso file.During the install if it says cant find file x,eg wifi.exe choose ignore option, you may get away with it ,you can always download driver files from websites after the install.If its a non vital file ,or just 3 files not readable from the cdrom.If its got ten scrathes its probably unusable,but smythes toystores some pc shops can fix a scratched cd for 5 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

yoyo wrote: »
    Download SeaTools for DOS and run a long scan of you hard drive (choose the CD/Floppy image whichever is convenient). You boot off this CD as if its the windows disc and you can use your mouse to choose Tests>Advanced test. Run a quick test first as if the hard drive is very knackered this will pick it up usually. Sounds like faulty hard drive especially getting the NTLDR error

Nick

Thanks did this and yeah couldnt even complete scan due to erros with the HDD so its just about time to get my hands on an old IDE HDD i think.

Advertisement