Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor or Pilot

Options
  • 18-06-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone,
    So here's my story... I'm 18 years old and have just finished my Leaving Cert. Initially, I had planned to obtain a Law dergee from Griffith College Dublin at a cost of €40,000 (when acommodation and spending money are included) no doubt this cost would rise significantly upon undertaking a Masters or even just attending Blackhall Place when I'm finished. Therefore, I have recently been considering taking this massive oppurtunity I have been given by my parents and using the money to obtain a Commercial Pilots Licence instead (usually costing around €65,000). I believe I could raise the rest of the money by working in Australia for a year myself (I am a joint Irish-Australian citizen), or by applying for a Credit Union loan. I would just like to know people's opinion on the matter and inform me as to my naivety if neccesary. Which career would you all recommend based on the following; pay, conditions, job satisfaction, ability to travel, job avalability, etc, etc

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could do both. Train as a solicitor and fund the pilot training yourself. You can do it cheaper in intensive courses in the US and Ukraine.

Which career would boil down to which one you enjoy more. If you don't enjoy it, all the other factors mean nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Welshman666

I'm hoping to be a Pilot also. I mainly want to be an RAF pilot, but chances of getting in at the moment are very slim. Have you considered military pilot?

If RAF doesn't workout I'm prob going to go commercial :) ...i.e Save lot's of money lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Get a medical test first before you decide. Class 1 I think. Ask or check the threads over in the Aircraft and Aviation forum. A simple thing like mild colourblindness (Ishihara test) could scupper your pilot career before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

I was planning on getting my CPL too, but once I found out all the costs it kind of made me to change my mind about it :) I dont think it would be really easy to get a loan now and a job is not guaranteed once you get your CPL, as everyone are looking for pilots with loads of hours of flying.
    Well thats what i think, correct my if im wrong though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

do the law degree, then get your own plane once you've swindled all the money from your clients ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement