Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating for medicine

Options
  • 18-06-2011 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I Think, no i know i wouldn't get enough points for any good course that i want this year. So repeating is best and am thinking medicine. I has always wanted medicine but never really worked as hard towards it. Is it possible? plus am thinking of taking up religion and geography to replace maths and Spanish. Are they hard to catch up on, English isn't really a problem.
    If i can't do medicine at least i'll end up with high points and can do another great course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If you're going for medicine I'm 90% sure you have to sit maths, english and irish the same year you take your points from, altho they can all be pass. I know some one thats repeating this year and doing those 3 subjects pass and 7 more subjects at higher level :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

It's very possible! You should probably keep in touch (at least) with the subjects over the summer. Next year make out a plan of how you're going to learn everything and get on top of all the subjects - deadlines and a general routine plan and stuff. Then put your head down and go for it!

As THFC said, I think you need to get the points and get your minimum requirements in the same leaving cert year for medicine, but ordinary is fine. Since you've done a couple of years of those subjects anyway you should be able to keep your standard relatively high without toooo much work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

You need to get the points and matriculation requirements in 1 sitting. So you must sit Maths, English and Irish + a foreign language.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Weetbix wrote: »
    I Think, no i know i wouldn't get enough points for any good course that i want this year. So repeating is best and am thinking medicine. I has always wanted medicine but never really worked as hard towards it. Is it possible? plus am thinking of taking up religion and geography to replace maths and Spanish. Are they hard to catch up on, English isn't really a problem.
    If i can't do medicine at least i'll end up with high points and can do another great course.

Religion would be hard to do in a year. The course is very long and there's practically no choice in the exam, so you'd have to do everything; not to mention the coursework. It'd probably be possible if you were interested in the subject and were willing to put in lots of work though, which I presume you are if you're repeating. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Weetbix

thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 runningblind

No trouble doing a new subject in my view. Just keep your discipline. Be realistic though if you couldn't do the work to get the points this year what makes you think you will do better next year taking on two new subjects! You may be better off going into a science degree and try to do GEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 katem141

You're def better off repeating and working that bit harder to get the points. I'm a science grad back doing med..and I'll have a loan of 60,000 euro when I finish because I have to pay full fees over having the science degree. Do your best to get it with the L.C. Good luck! :)

Advertisement