Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Herb Garden in Cork

Options
  • 17-06-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

So i'm a total novice. I'm doing alot of healthy cooking. So I'd like to start using fresh herbs rather than dried stuff. I'm living out in the country. Nice big garden....also have a million of planters outside the door.

Half barrels, plastic planters, and some nice oriental planters...

What i'm interested in would be chives, oregano, basil, rosemary, lemon grass and maybe even some spring onions.

I need advice on what kinda planter would be best....how deep should they be, what direction should they face, soil, gravel needed?

grow from seed vs planting young plants? Should i buy the plants from garden centre or will tesco ones do?

Come winter what should i do?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Chives will do very well in a planter as will Rosemary and Oregano. We don't have the climate to grow Basil outdoors, unfortunately, but it will do fine on a window sill. Thyme will do very well in a planter too. All the above need full sun. Parsley likes a little bit of shade.
    A planter with at least 8 inches of good free draining soil would be ideal for herbs. A gravel mulch helps to keep the herbs clean.
    It is much better value (and more enjoyable) to grow herbs from seed.
    Most common herbs are frost hardy. Although I think there were reports here in another thread, of Rosemary not surviving the last two winters. My own Rosemary struggled, but made it through in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

slowburner wrote: »
    Chives will do very well in a planter as will Rosemary and Oregano. We don't have the climate to grow Basil outdoors, unfortunately, but it will do fine on a window sill. Thyme will do very well in a planter too. All the above need full sun. Parsley likes a little bit of shade.
    A planter with at least 8 inches of good free draining soil would be ideal for herbs. A gravel mulch helps to keep the herbs clean.
    It is much better value (and more enjoyable) to grow herbs from seed.
    Most common herbs are frost hardy. Although I think there were reports here in another thread, of Rosemary not surviving the last two winters. My own Rosemary struggled, but made it through in the end.

they have some of those planter covers on offer in argos at the moment. acts like mini glass house kinda thing

Large Cold Frame Greenhouse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    they have some of those planter covers on offer in argos at the moment. acts like mini glass house kinda thing

Large Cold Frame Greenhouse.

Looks as if it could come in handy and it won't break the bank. Keep an eye on the German supermarkets too - they can be great value for that sort of thing.

Thyme and parsley by the way, are fantastic sources of iron - seeing as you are into healthy cooking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Tescos have herbs growing in pots at about 1.50 each. Its a good way to get started quickly with parsley, chives, etc. You can separate them and get quite a few plants without waiting for seeds to germinate. Woodies/Homebase often have packs of 6 herbs growing - probably cheaper than planting seeds and you won't have the wait. If you are growing parsley from seed do soak it overnight in water as it has a hard covering - this helps it to germinate. Best of luck - there's nothing nicer than fresh herbs. :)Rosemary grows easily from cuttings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l5lr

Store bought herbs won't be hardened off if I'm correct. So you won't be able to plant them outside for quite a while. Most garden centres will have loads of herbs, which can be thrown into containers. I've got a few different types of mint and oregano, it's great having the choice. Spring onions can still be sown from seed, until August ;)

Those 'Large Cold Frame Greenhouse's' were in Lidl for €25 euro if I remember correctly. There brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Those cold frames in Argos are reduced to clear now at €10.99 each -reduced from €41.99! :eek:

I wonder are they any good though - would they be as warm as one with a glass or polycarbonate roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

boomerang wrote: »
    Those cold frames in Argos are reduced to clear now at €10.99 each -reduced from €41.99! :eek:

I wonder are they any good though - would they be as warm as one with a glass or polycarbonate roof?

i got one of the ones from argos! they are pretty huge! :D

But the frame fall aparts really easily a puff or air would collapse it :P but easy solution :D super glue! :P

Herbs are doing great in planters out the back :P

curly leaf parlsy, sweet basil, rosemary, mint, wild strawberries, the smell alone is worth having them for, and in cooking omg no comparison!

wild strawberries for pure sentiment, my gran always had wild strawberries in the garden!

Mmmmm :p

Advertisement