Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review FiverFriday.com - *Don't* be kind!

Options
  • 17-06-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Please give me your honest opinion about FiverFriday.com. I've been working on it for hours, so I can't judge it objectively myself...

Please also rate my signature!

- www.fiverfriday.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Not bad, not bad! Overall looks very nice and good idea...that's if I get it. At first I thought this was about people spending €5 extra on Irish products/services or in Irish businesses on a given Friday - but then I saw something about a business offering green fees for €5 in conjunction with the first Fiver Friday?

Either way, I'd make it more clear what the purpose of the site/venture is by moving the 'what is Fiver Friday' blurb up to the top panel.

I'm not mad keen on the red-white-yellow combination of colours, but they do kind of work.

Those are my initial impressions anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

Thanks Chet Zar,

I see where you're coming from and totally agree about the mixed message. I was going to focus it on spending 5 euros extra and then somebody sent me an advert so I tried to accommodate that. You're bang on about that.

I'm not a visual designer, so I'm going to play it safe with the colours and leave them because the time is quite tight.

Edit: I've made a few changes based on Chet Zar's suggestions. You can view the older page at www.fiverfriday.com/indexOLD.html Which do you prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

I had a similar thought but genuinely don't have the time to put it into practice.

SpendAPenny.ie or com

The idea being to get people to empty their penny jars and spend it on a certain date. It doesn't matter what it's spent on or even if it's simply put into the bank.

Whilst spending money on Irish products is laudable I think consumers are pretty blase to "Irish" labels - or organic or whatever. Is Lyons tea Irish, Fruitfields Marmalade? Carrolls Tourist shop selling Leprechauns made in China?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You realise that "spend a penny" is a euphemism for - how shall I put it? - taking a piss?

You realise that "spend a penny" is a euphemism for - how shall I put it? - taking a piss?
    Name recognition. It doesn't really matter what other connotations it has (within reason). Daft.ie. Yahoo.com. It's about being instantly memorable.

You're going to remember that address 2 months from now.

• Advertisement

Name recognition is fine if it is an innocuous term. Twitter is a great example. Unfortunately, the phrase spend a penny has an association with urinating that would be difficult to shift. But, hey, it's your idea. Don't let me dissuade you. Perhaps the Wii is a good example of how to turn a ludicrously named product into a highly successful brand name. Of course, having a vast marketing department helps.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree but just to clarify what I'm talking about has no commercial objectives from the point of view of the site itself, it's about getting money moving in the economy, taking money that is sitting unproductively in a jar or down the back of a couch and getting it doing something - anything.

I think ultimately that's what the OP is aiming to achieve too.

In that context I don't think a silly or irreverent name is a bad thing.

If somebody literally pisses the money away down the boozer that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

GetWithIt wrote: »
    I had a similar thought but genuinely don't have the time to put it into practice.

SpendAPenny.ie or com

The idea being to get people to empty their penny jars and spend it on a certain date. It doesn't matter what it's spent on or even if it's simply put into the bank.

Whilst spending money on Irish products is laudable I think consumers are pretty blase to "Irish" labels - or organic or whatever. Is Lyons tea Irish, Fruitfields Marmalade? Carrolls Tourist shop selling Leprechauns made in China?

Wouldn't it be a cent? :confused:

Let's see what happens with the Euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Why is the girl on the site (who's hot BTW), not Irish ?

It's Ireland's cheapest deals, but the model is obviously hispanic or possibly at a Frieda Pinto push, Indian ?

• Advertisement

What a curious objection.

The population of Ireland is comprised of many nationalities. We live in a multi-ethnic society. Your question appears meaningless the face of this rather obvious demographic.

I'd be more worried about the use of what appears to be a stock photo.

`I'm not objecting, I already stated she's hot, she's just not obviously Irish (nor was Phil Lynnot but that's another thread). She could be there with other models who were more traditionally irish looking - red hair, freckles, pasty white skin & that's just the men, you know the type :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

iMax wrote: »
    `I'm not objecting, I already stated she's hot, she's just not obviously Irish (nor was Phil Lynnot but that's another thread). She could be there with other models who were more traditionally irish looking - red hair, freckles, pasty white skin & that's just the men, you know the type :)

If there was a facepalm smiley on boards, I'd use it now.

So what happened to people's sarcasm detectors ??

Advertisement