Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random rant about Symantec and Norton :L

Options
  • 17-06-2011 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hello all was just reminded of an occasion where a nasty virus got into my computer and I was forced to call up Symantec as my norton 360 hadnt caught it....:rolleyes:

Anyway after a while explaining to this indian guy what the virus was and where it came from he then asked me to pay for them to remove it...i told them no way and hung up. The result of that was me having to reformat my hard drive..:mad:

Point being..why should I have to pay for Norton 360 if it doesnt even catch some viruses and makes me end up paying more to get the virus removed?? Has anybody else had the same issues with these people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Never called them but I've seen loads of missed viruses.

Antivirus programs are not 100% effective but norton misses more than most.

It's better than it used to be but it was useless so it's no major achievement.

I rate eset and kaspersky as 2 of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not more than most, but it's in the middle tier of the leading products. Antivirus programs are not 100% guaranteed. Virus infection will still occur rarely and it's not 'covered' by any AV subscription service that Im aware of.

Your Antivirus is a Condom, if it's only 99% effective (and actually the best AV is only at best about 88% effective in lab tests) you still aren't invincible, and shouldnt be sleeping with every durty hooker in Reno.

Your logic would lead you not to use any AV product, as none of them are bulletproof.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

overview2010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

ryanch09 wrote: »
    Hello all was just reminded of an occasion where a nasty virus got into my computer and I was forced to call up Symantec as my norton 360 hadnt caught it....:rolleyes:

Anyway after a while explaining to this indian guy what the virus was and where it came from he then asked me to pay for them to remove it...i told them no way and hung up. The result of that was me having to reformat my hard drive..:mad:

Point being..why should I have to pay for Norton 360 if it doesnt even catch some viruses and makes me end up paying more to get the virus removed?? Has anybody else had the same issues with these people?

The only reason you would be asked to pay would be if your subscription was expired and you needed the most up to date virus checks... if anyone asked you to pay outside of that then this sounds like you rang a scam number. My bro in law was getting that definition alert a while back where it wanted his credit card, had a quick look and knew from the logo it was a scam - appeared to be Norton or Mc afee but it wasn't. Instead just bought a new Norton box and installed, no more error or false alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Taltos wrote: »
    The only reason you would be asked to pay would be if your subscription was expired and you needed the most up to date virus checks... if anyone asked you to pay outside of that then this sounds like you rang a scam number. My bro in law was getting that definition alert a while back where it wanted his credit card, had a quick look and knew from the logo it was a scam - appeared to be Norton or Mc afee but it wasn't. Instead just bought a new Norton box and installed, no more error or false alert.

Strange thing about thar was that my subscription was up to date and the number i called was the one from the symantec website so they must all just be mad scammers :P

Advertisement