Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming courses through FAS' online learning.

Options
  • 17-06-2011 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Has anyone done any of the programming courses through FAS' training programmes?

http://www.ecollege.ie/site/pages/courses.html

I'm unemployed for two months now and since I did programming degree in gmit before I was thinking about doing this course
    Microsoft .NET Framework C# – Application Development Foundation
    http://www.ecollege.ie/site/pages/courses/modules/M_NetC_App/CApp.html

From what i can gather its a 14 week course all done through the on-line ecollege.

I have no doubt that i am able for the course but i'm worried that its out dated since its mentioned in the course components that its C# 2005.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jkdelz

You can google it. There so many online study sites offered courses like that. You should be careful taking up courses that is outdated. That will not be good.

- Jhon
    "Better to know what it is?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

I done an online fas photoshop course and passed it with high marks. Then i found out that you get no certificate nothin to prove you even done the course.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jota

i'm doing the photoshop cs3 course online with fas at the moment. The CS3 version is outdated now but I figure it's free training on the same basic principles which govern the newer versions, and when you're applying for work it's better to have knowledge of an outdated version which means you could be easily and quickly retrained to the updated version by your new employers, than to apply for work with no knowledge at all of the programme in question.

The downside of the online fas courses (or at least the photoshop one) is that you aren't emailed any notes and the presentation of material doesn't allow you to copy and paste so you have to rely on memory or write/type your own notes on anything you feel is particularly important. The course itself is good in that it's quite comprehensive, but it does contain a LOT of information for it to not be accompanied by printable notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

How did you apply for fas courses online? and did it take long to get signed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jota

you have to apply for it through your local fas officer. when i went first they told me i couldn't sign up for any courses until i'd been on jobseeker's for three months, but this 'rule' is only applied by some fas staff. if they tell you this try talking to someone else and hopefully they'll sign you up straight away.

they send you an email with a username and password. you'll then have about 10 days to activate our account, and then have 10 weeks for the day you activate it to complete the course online.

(incidentally the same woman who told me to wait three months also told me i didn't need a specific username and password, to just sign myself up with my pps no and date of birth, but this doesn't work, you have to get a fas officer to sign you up)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

just a quick question on all this. Can you only do 1 per 14 weeks? can you do them quicker if you learn it quicker? Seems some load of hassle tbh, going to call over to fas tomorrow check it out.

Advertisement