Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer and Broadband query

Options
  • 17-06-2011 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Story folks,

I live west side of Dublin in on the blessington road, about 600 metres from Citywest. Now the housing estates nearby all have access to UPC, which I used to be with in the apartment in Citywest and I really liked their service for the broadband but due to some recent events we ended up moving back to the girlfriends parents house which is as I said only a few metres from Citywest, but it is on the blessington road and is on a farm. I currently have eircom broadband but the fastest speed they tell me I can get is 2mb, which is brutal for my gaming and even the laptop. Upc keep ignoring my emails to try get someone out to see if they can help me out. So what im wondering is, is there a way I can get better broadband speeds myself? I've googled it and I came accross a signal booster but I don't anything about that or if that is any use to me.

Also, I will be looking to buy a laptop/computer soon, I tend to do alot of gaming preferbly football manager, so I was leaning towards getting a computer. Could anyone point me in the right direction for a decent priced comp for gaming and watching films and where is best to get one.

Thanks

Tezza

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

You're probably limited in terms of speed because of the distance between the house and the nearest exchange. Unfortunately, there's no a whole lot you can do about it.. So unless UPC decide to roll out their service in the are, you're stuck with 2mb.

No reason why a 2 meg line shouldn't be sufficient for gaming though. I played for years on 56k, then 64k isdn, then 128k isdn, then 512k broadband (which most of England and Ireland played on for many years before there was some decent development in the industry).

Play away and if you're getting owned, try harder, don't blame your broadband :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tezza

Argh its fairly annoying as im not too far from the first estate of corbally. Think i'll just try upc again. Cheers for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

To be honest a 2MB line wouldn't be enough for gaming online AND browsing\downloading if someone else was attached too.

On the UPC site there should be a section where you can check if their service is available to you (by putting in your house number and address). This will tell you instantly if you can upgrade to their 25MB+ lines.

Aye just checked there and on the home site (http://www.upc.ie/) down the bottom right you can check "what services are available at my address". Try that.

Advertisement