Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my pet wood pigeon

Options
  • 17-06-2011 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

heres a couple of photos of my wood pegion thought you might like to see, i adopted him/her a year ago when it fell out of its nest from a tree that was being cut down. he was only a couple of days old, i fed him on porrige mixed with rice crispys and cannary seed all mixed into a mush and fed through a siringe, when he got older i used a pen casing filled with dry seed to let the seed down his neck.
    i released him over number of weeks to ajust him to the outside world, and when i finally set him free he diddnt go anywhere just stayed around in the trees. now a year on i still have him for lunch!!! he arrives at between 1pm and 3pm every day flys into the kitchen to his food tin, has a meal rests and sleeps for an hour or so and then goes off not to be seen again until the following day.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

he's lovely, it's a great mix of pet and wildlife, thank you for the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Awww that's a lovely story!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

one of my favourite birds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Wow! Thats class!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭quercus

thanks guys im pretty proud of my rescue and release, he went missing for two weeks a little while ago but came back, i thought he was gone.
    he must have been after a mate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Lovely Pics, Well done !

Ps, We have the same microwave oven !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Incredible birds! We have a pseudo family pet wood pigeon; Woodrow / Woodie for short (wild - or at least he started that way) who visits each morning, lunchtime, afternoon & evening for food, he waits looking in the window as if asking to be fed - never seen a bird wolf down so much food, he eats almost anything left out for him.

He has previously wandered into the house on numerous occasions & helped himself to the parrot seed tub. He regularly eats out of my dad's hand & has this year started bringing the kids (two new birds) in at meal times. He roosts on the balcony at the back of the kitchen until he's satisfied that he has eaten his fill for the day, or that there is no more delivery service!

Always back the next day at the same times!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭quercus

i totally agree with you De Hipster, great birds and great memorys they can always remember where the food is. like you my wood pigeon sits on the window ledge looking in, he/she is feeding young now and coming more often filling up his/her craw to almost bursting point and flying off again, so hopefully the young will come to visit too.

oh and four18 it's a good microwave oven for such a cheap price:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

That's a lovely story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Pixywish

Such a sweet story! He's a very lucky birdy:D

(Love the pic with the microwave in the background too! Just kinda random as the background for a pic of a wood pidgeon! Very cute tho...:))

• Advertisement
Advertisement