Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord references

Options
  • 16-06-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Just got a place in shared accommodation moving at the end of the month.

The letting agency wants the following before adding me to the lease:
    • Work reference stating salary
    • Previous landlord reference
    • 6 months banks statements

This seems a bit intrusive but they tell me its normal.

Is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Seems normal to me. They want to ensure that you are employed with sufficient money coming in to cover your rent and that this will be an ongoing situation, hence the work reference & bank accounts. Also they'd like to check that you're a good tenant, hence the previous landlord's reference.

I think I've been asked for this or very similar every time I've rented here. Now I haven't been in shared accommodation, instead I rent with my partner, but the principle holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I'm in shared accommodation and had to provide work reference, 3 months bank statements and a copy of my passport. I didn't like providing information on my finances but it is standard procedure!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

We're about to move, and I was asked to provide proof of address, proof of identity, employer and previous landlord references. They didn't ask for bank statements though. When I first moved to London I didn't have a job yet, so they asked for a guarantor. I think I was asked for bank statements that time though. It really depends on the agency I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

What annoys me is that the prospective tenant has to pay for all these checks to be undertaken.

If I am renting, I am prepared to give my word that I am decent. If a landlord is not prepared to accept my word then he should shoulder the cost of checking up on me.

It's a moneymaking scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

What annoys me is that the prospective tenant has to pay for all these checks to be undertaken.

If I am renting, I am prepared to give my word that I am decent. If a landlord is not prepared to accept my word then he should shoulder the cost of checking up on me.

It's a moneymaking scam.

As far as the landlord is concerned, your word isn't worth anything to them. It's frustrating, but if you want to live in their property, they want actual proof of you being a decent tenant.

Moreover, the agency wants their ass covered because they're the middlemen in the contract with obligations to both parties. So you usually end up jumping through more hoops when renting via an agency than if you were renting directly from the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

While on the subject of references, I am planning a move to London in September and was wondering what I can do in my situation,

I have never been in rental accommodation so I have no references

I wont have a job when I move but I have a full D/D1 bus license so should pick up a job quickly.

Would Irish bank statements be acceptable, i have xx amount saved to keep me tied over for a few months, when i move i will transfer this into my new UK bank account (HSBC have a passport account that i can set up before i leave)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sadnav

Nibs05 wrote: »
    While on the subject of references, I am planning a move to London in September and was wondering what I can do in my situation,

I wont have a job when I move but I have a full D/D1 bus license so should pick up a job quickly.

Would Irish bank statements be acceptable, i have xx amount saved to keep me tied over for a few months, when i move i will transfer this into my new UK bank account (HSBC have a passport account that i can set up before i leave)

The first thing to do is decide where abouts you want to live. Then use the internet to find letting agents in that area and contact them as soon as possible. Tell them all that you have written here and that should give you time enough to put in place what is needed. It is a landlords market at the moment, and without references you may find it difficult to prove yourself reliable. Some renters will pay the first six months in advance plus deposits, to prove their capability to the letting agent, and the landlord.

good luck

JR

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

sadnav wrote: »
    The first thing to do is decide where abouts you want to live. Then use the internet to find letting agents in that area and contact them as soon as possible. Tell them all that you have written here and that should give you time enough to put in place what is needed. It is a landlords market at the moment, and without references you may find it difficult to prove yourself reliable. Some renters will pay the first six months in advance plus deposits, to prove their capability to the letting agent, and the landlord.

good luck

JR

Thanks,

I will be in the croyden / Crawley area, I am planning a day trip in august so I will find some letting agencies and will call into there offices, hopefully they can advise me regarding references.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Nibs05 wrote: »

When I first moved over I had only lived at home and in college accommodation. I got a reference from a previous employer and from my college supervisor, and I had my Dad as a guarantor (in other words, if I didn't find a job and couldn't pay rent he'd cover it. Never had to use this, but from their point of view it is a safety net) I think I provided bank statements from my Irish account as well.

Advertisement