Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking pc to tv with HDMI

Options
  • 16-06-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I really need help! I've been trying to connect my dell inspiron 1525 laptop with my new phillips flat screen tv with a HDMI cable but keep getting the message 'no video signal' on the tv screen when they're connected. I've looked up other forums and follwed instructions to personalise the display, and extending the desktop to the other monitor (the tv) but it doesn't work. Does it have something to do with not being able to increase the resolution for the secondary monitor?? I'm not exactly a techie so any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you told the laptop to send a video signal from the HDMI port and are you sure you're selecting the correct video source on the TV?

Fn + F8 appears to be the keyboard combination you need to press on the laptop. Look at the TV and check the number of the HDMI port you're connecting to, make sure that when you press the 'Source' button on the TV remote that you select this AV port.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Does it pick up the monitor with a VGA cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Don't start the Laptop until you have it connected to the screen, happened to someone I know they spent hours upon hours trying to get it to work and eventually gave up, I then told them to do that and hey presto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

press hdmi,1.2.3.4 , press f6 or f8 fkey with 2boxes,2screens logo.
    set resolution to 1024x768 ,set grahics card, settings,advanced ,refresh rate to 60mhz.http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000558.htm
    or right click blank part of desktop,propertys ,settings advanced,refresh rate,it can take 3seconds for screen to appear,turn on pc,then turn on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 olivecath

Thanks so much for all the replies..
    I've tried various ways of connecting with no results. My pc reacts when connected by shutting down, then when turned back on it won't recognise that there is an external display monitor connected. :confused: Even with the resolution lowered. I think it might be a problem with the video card , not sure what that is but I think its connected with what resolution the pc or tv can support?? Anyway,thanks again, any more suggestions would be great, can a video card be upgraded?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

any tv works on 720x576 resolution ,dvd video resoultion,try hdmi 3, 2 ,plug in to hdmi port 2 or 3.Most hd tvs are designed for 60,mhz maximum refresh rate on pc grahics card.
    Google connect laptop to hdtv resolution .what model is it, eg lg560

• Registered Users Posts: 16 olivecath

Thanks again for the suggestions,
    I got a vga cable which works just fine, apparently some older laptops have dodgy hdmi ports which may have been the problem as mine 5 years old.

Advertisement