Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best spinners for trout and perhaps salmon fishing?

Options
  • 16-06-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

People have mentioned the Black Fury. I've used the Mepps Copper ones before and found them to attract fish, even if the trout were usually small. Do the sizes (0, 1,2,3) make much difference other than the obvious of bigger fish going for bigger bait? Are spinners less useful if there has been a dry period?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

they all work, and you'll get parr on size 3 and 4, the size doesnt stop the small ones taking the spinner.i prefer fishing the spinner after a flood but it works in any conditions. there are no set rules for fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tom7515

I never had much sucess with spinners besides foul hooked fish, try spinning 3 flies on short droppers behind a small bubble float the evening, shud pick up a trout on that, if there taking.

Tom7515 wrote: »
    I never had much sucess with spinners besides foul hooked fish, try spinning 3 flies on short droppers behind a small bubble float the evening, shud pick up a trout on that, if there taking.
    I find its better to fish 1 fly if its behind the bubble, 2 or 3 flies if they are bfore the bubble.

shblob wrote: »
    I find its better to fish 1 fly if its behind the bubble, 2 or 3 flies if they are bfore the bubble.
    Thats wat i do too, the floats at the end of the line, 3 flies and a swivel! great for sea trout at nite

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

What length of line do you use for each fly?

• Advertisement

for salmon about 15cm for trout 10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Do you not find that the different lines get tangled when you cast?

When you use just the one fly with the bubble, would a normal spinning line and rod be ok for this ya?

Could anyone recommend any other good spinners....I have tried gold and silver ones but I've yet to get a bite, the black fury and the copper mepps have worked best.

No just keep the 3 droppers short at bout 4 inches or so, and out of reach of eachother, just keep the whole rig kinda of compact and its usually ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

mepps all the way. I find a silver mepps with blue or red dots to be the most effective. Size 1 or 2 usually on the smaller rivers and size 2/3 on a larger river/lake. I've caught salmon (small 2/3/4/5/lbs) while fishing with the size 2 mepps but i often use a size 3/4 salmon fishing the rivers instead of the predictable flying c. the mepps is great for spinning as soon as it hits the water, often the bloody flying c needs a thug first... well i find anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

the bloody flying c needs a thug first... /QUOTE]
    Does the thug beat it up or just threaten it? :D:D

On a serious note, yeah the flying C's need a few sharp pulls to get them going, sometimes they come in tangled up which is frustrating. I try to tie directly to the spinner and don't use a swivel or quick (snap) change swivel. I use a swivel two foot up the line for twists.

Alternatively cast further than you want and stop/slow the line on the spool with your hand. I tend to do this as I want to cast under trees and close to the far bank. I fish a few spots where the salmon lie under the trees on the far bank and i need to get the spinner right under the trees, also the fish will take on the first two or three winds so I need to be spinning straight away.

• Advertisement

or use rolla bullets which start to spin instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

shblob wrote: »
    or use rolla bullets which start to spin instantly.
    dont mind using spinners use minnow dead wi 14hook in lip and smallest treble u can buy in its tail and jerk them upstream into fast water ive caught big trout salmon sea trout and pike on doin just that but very rarely land the pike they cut through the line
    but as far as spinners go mepps size 0 or 1 silver and works for salmon but for salmon id use a black or red flying condom( flying c)
    tight lines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

as far as spinners go mepps size 0 or 1 silver and works for salmon :D

I find the smaller mepps are hard to cast far especially if there is a bit of a wind. The mepps 3 is quite big alright but gives a good cast. I'm attaching them directly to the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Number 5 silver mepps with blue spots for trout. Best use a ball bearing swivel when using a mepps

Advertisement