Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pottermore - JK Rowling Announcement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Official line from her PR crowd is that it is not a book. By that I wonder if they meant it's not another novel, or if they're discounting all types of books (the likes of Tales of Beetle the Bard etc). Intriguing to say the least, but if it's not a book I can't think of much else that would get me majorly excited.

Though in saying that, there's some hyperbole floating around already. From a fansite editor that had a sneak peak: "...it is breathtaking in scope, detail and sheer beauty."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Oh my God, IBC! I'm so excited already. You've just made my day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Its a MMORPG

You heard it here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

I hope its not some Second Life type thing
    Is this what she was working? The Potter Encyclopedia is now gonna be online?

Was kinda looking forward to it in a book!!

It probably wasnt gonna fit though
    Ah well-will be cool regardless

3DataModem wrote: »
    Its a MMORPG

You heard it here first.
    What does MMORPG stand for? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Hermione* wrote: »

Massively multiplayer online role playing game :)

So excited to know what this is!

As tommissex put it. Think of a Harry Potter World of Warcraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm so excited to find out now!!

As tommissex put it. Think of a Harry Potter World of Warcraft.
    Thanks. I really hope it's not that! I'm not a big fan of games :o

Thanks. I really hope it's not that! I'm not a big fan of games :o

Have you ever played the Lego Harry Potter game? It's available on all consoles, there's even an iPhone/iPad version, and it's seriously good fun. Though I agree, I hope this isn't an MMO, because I don't like those particular types of games.

Other rumours are that it's going to be a big social-type website for people to interact on everything HP related. This is coming from the patent that Warner Bros. put on the domain name 'Pottermore':
    Providing multiple-user access to a global computer information network; providing on-line chat rooms and electronic bulletin boards for transmission of messages among users in the field of general interest; providing on-line communications links which transfer the web site user to other local and global web pages; providing on-line facilities for real-time interaction with other computer users concerning topics of general interest.

http://www.trademarkia.com/pottermore-77788415.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

I reckon the Gaia of Harry Potter

Have you ever played the Lego Harry Potter game? It's available on all consoles, there's even an iPhone/iPad version, and it's seriously good fun. Though I agree, I hope this isn't an MMO, because I don't like those particular types of games.

Other rumours are that it's going to be a big social-type website for people to interact on everything HP related. This is coming from the patent that Warner Bros. put on the domain name 'Pottermore':

http://www.trademarkia.com/pottermore-77788415.html
    I don't even own a console! It does sound cool though, I love lego. I must see if it's available on the Android.

I'd really love it if it was something in book format. I think that would be more true to the Harry Potter legacy. All the other suggestions seem to be very marketing-driven to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

I really hate the way Warner are literally squeezing HP for every cent they can get...

I REALLY hate all the merchandise crap - to me it takes away from the books and the whole HP world making it really tacky!

But I'm seriously excited to see what it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I am very interested to see what it is. Though it probably won't live up to all the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Gah, I can't watch the video in work because my boss is here. Can anyone tell me what she says?

It says on the site:
    What is Pottermore?

Pottermore is a free website that builds an exciting online experience around the reading of the Harry Potter books.
    Come back on 31st July to find out how you can get the chance to enter Pottermore early.

Doesn't really explain much!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Apparently its the place to buy ebooks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

The video was a bit....vague. Sounds like it's a e-version of the books, with some added extras, and some information about the universe Harry Potter Rowling hasn't released before. I can't help but think it's going to add your name in instead of one of the characters or something..

Gah, I can't watch the video in work because my boss is here. Can anyone tell me what she says?
    Me, neither. Stoopid work! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

Aodan83 wrote: »
    The video was a bit....vague. Sounds like it's a e-version of the books, with some added extras, and some information about the universe Harry Potter Rowling hasn't released before. I can't help but think it's going to add your name in instead of one of the characters or something..

That sounds about right. There's a lot of McGonagall background info, apparently. Instead of the Encyclopedia she said she was gonna write, this seems to be the alternative.

I'm not very impressed. :/ Also, has J.K. had some serious botox?

If anyone is at all interested, I did a short blog post about my misgivings towards Pottermore. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Ok I've just watched the video and it does seem rather exciting. It sounds like loose ends will be tied up and new secrets revealed.

Of course people will complain though, but be realistic, it was hardly going to be a new book. It sounds better to me than what I expected tbh.

Can't register my email address :(

• Advertisement

Reserving judgement for now. People are being too harsh IMO given that we don't have all the details, or even many of them yet. This has a lot of potential I think.

Advertisement