Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Size limits on upload to youtube?

Options
  • 16-06-2011 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I'm trying to upload a 10 minute video to youtube, it is 2.1GB in size.

My account is enabled for uploads longer than 15 minutes so the length is fine.

The limits on my account adjacent to the upload button say:

Videos can be...
    High Definition
    A wide variety of formats

There is no mention of size limits there.

Before my account was enabled for videos longer than 15 minutes, I had another limitation adjacent to the upload button which said 'videos must be under 2 GB'.

The fact that this was gone made me believe I could now upload videos larger than 2 GB.

I have tried the regular upload page and the Advanced Uploader with no luck so far. The description of the Advanced Uploader tells me: YouTube's Advanced Uploader helps users reliably upload large files to the site (up to 20GB)
    So I assumed that meant I was allowed to upload up to 20GB.

After waiting hours for my video to appear, youtube tells me "Uploaded (processing, please wait)" and stays that way for days while the upload process is still showing at around 40%, or it says ' Failed (upload aborted)' though I haven't aborted the upload myself.

I regularly upload videos of over 10 minutes and up to 2 GB in size, so this isn't an internet problem, but this is the first time my upload has been over 2GB.

Is it possible to upload videos larger than 2GB? Or do I need to split my video into two parts. [video cannot me made shorter or smaller in size]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There is a 2GB Per file limit, so the Advance uploader tool allows for at least ten clips at a time, but realistically a lot more.

Why on earth are you uploading uncompressed footage???? Even with the a very light compression 15 mins shouldnt be over a gig.

Compress it into a h.264 Mpeg4 or even a Divx AVI(better for longer clips, but would help), leave the bitrates high if you like. Will be well within limits and will upload in less than half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Thanks for clearing the advanced uploader up for me!

Afraid it's gotta be uncompressed, so I'll have to just split it into two separate clips. Oh well.. :rolleyes:

I don't mind how long it takes as long as it just gets up there successfully.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

R0C wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing the advanced uploader up for me!

Afraid it's gotta be uncompressed, so I'll have to just split it into two separate clips. Oh well.. :rolleyes:

I don't mind how long it takes as long as it just gets up there successfully.

Why cant you compress it? Fyi even youtube's high definition setting will compress your video, it wouldnt be feasible bandwidth wise for youtube allowing streaming of uncompressed HD footage...

Nick

Advertisement