Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbs and other fish?

Options
  • 16-06-2011 2:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 70 litre tank for smaller fish and i recently introduced 6 tiger barbs into it...they seem happy enough but they look a bit lost in the tank.
    What else can i add to the tank that'll look good and wont result in fighting etc? also how many would be a safe number?
    many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Degsy wrote: »
    I have a 70 litre tank for smaller fish and i recently introduced 6 tiger barbs into it...they seem happy enough but they look a bit lost in the tank.
    What else can i add to the tank that'll look good and wont result in fighting etc? also how many would be a safe number?
    many thanks.

Don't put any fish with fancy tales or slow moving fish in there like guppies. You could probably but a few tetras (maybe 10 neon and 6 lemon) and the should get on ok

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cardinal tetras are nice to look at and a nice shoal will make the tank look lovely

I have a shoal of 30 cardinal tetras in my tank and they really do draw you in,when looking at them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Stuck a few neon tetras in yesterday and two of them have no tails today :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

add more tiger barbs. The bigger the group they are in the less nippy towards other fish they will be, in theory anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

add more tiger barbs. The bigger the group they are in the less nippy towards other fish they will be, in theory anyway.

I'm no expert but i seriously cant see how that will work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

They live in big shoals in the wild. When they're kept in small groups they have a tendency to nip other fish but in a larger shoal they should be too preoccupied having a go at each other and leave other inhabitants alone. It's a small tank though so it may not work. In a group of six they are destined to be a pain in the arse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Tiger Barbs are not recommended as part of a community tank. They are a lively, playful, schooling species that are very very active. They themselves have a natural pecking order in their school and in the majority of cases will have a go at other tankmates too - nipping at the fins as you have experienced with the neons.

I'd suggest getting more of them if you want more fish, but it will be hard for you to find a fish of a different variety that they will steer clear of.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

you should be keeping about 8 barbs minimum.

I had them like this before no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭paul71

Degsy wrote: »
    I'm no expert but i seriously cant see how that will work!

It does actually work, Tigers fin nip if they are bored, if you have a big enough group of them they will ignore other fish.

I have 10 Tiger barbs in with Mollies and Swordtails and no problems, I would be reticent to add guppies to the tank however.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

i have 11 tigers in a community tank and ive never had an issue with them attacking other fish .. they spend there time squabbling with each other and leave everyone else alone ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement