Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dial up internet connection not working

Options
  • 16-06-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

My dialup internet connection has suddenly stopped working. The Op is Xp. Any solutions to this problem plz. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

What provider do you use? are you getting a dial tone? is it engaged, or ringing, singing and disconnecting?

Details are key here!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nascar

the phone line is working. Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

When you try to connect can you hear the modem making that irritating noise as it tries to connect? Is the cable plugged in properly on the back of the PC?

everything is connected properly, modem is working, tries to dial out but getting a message " error code 676 and line is busy"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Try some of the solutions here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187215

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Dare I ask why are you still on dial-up internet?

I can only presume that it is not available in your area and not that you like listening to the soothing sounds of the modem as it sluggishly initiates a prehistoric handshking\binary agreement with your ISP to provide internet content at snail's pace while you go and prepare, make and eat your dinner and come back to look at today's news?

:o

I like living in the 80's

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,983 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We still can't get broadband back home either. We eventually got a 3 modem and it works surprisingly well. Not great but an amazing improvement.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

If its saying line busy, then either the phone line isn't working, or the number you're dialling is incorrect. I'd ring eircom and speak to them, they'll be able to tell you if its the line, or if its the number.

grand thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement