Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a footprint for my tent?

Options
  • 15-06-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all,
    We are about to purchase an Outwell Monterey 5 Tent and we are wondering whether or not to buy the footprint to go with it? I have searched the net for an answer and have read about them giving your tent a longer life and protecting against rough ground etc etc. We will not be camping on the side of a mountain in this tent, we will probably only ever camp in a campsite which I presume will all have proper grass areas that will not be rough or very rocky/stony. Are they worth the extra money? Any advice or experiences appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

No imo if your only camping for a couple of weeks then put a sheet on the floor (this absorbs moisture and can be dried during the day) underneath your roll mats and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I bought a footprint for one of my tents and never, ever used it. Completely unnecessary IMO. Save your money and spend it on something useful instead lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

Drunk Monk I think you missunderstood, its not for between the mats insided the tent its for underneath the tent on the outside.
    colblimp thats what I was thinking but when you read all the hype from the manufacturing company you'd think you'd be a fool not to buy one.
    Thanks for the response guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Eyeore wrote: »
    Drunk Monk I think you missunderstood, its not for between the mats insided the tent its for underneath the tent on the outside.
    colblimp thats what I was thinking but when you read all the hype from the manufacturing company you'd think you'd be a fool not to buy one.
    Thanks for the response guys

Yeah, the companies just want your wonga! When pitching, just have a careful look to make sure there's nothing on the ground that could potentially damage your groundsheet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Eyeore wrote: »

have been camping for 15+ years and never needed, nor indeed heard of, a "footprint"
    Totally unnecessary unless the tent is so cheap that the groundsheet of it is crap enough to let water through or tear off the slightest thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

have been camping for 15+ years and never needed, nor indeed heard of, a "footprint"
    Totally unnecessary unless the tent is so cheap that the groundsheet of it is crap enough to let water through or tear off the slightest thing.

They are useful if you own a super-light, and thus super-expensive, tent, and want to have a cheap throwaway ground sheet protector for when you know you'll be on rough, rocky ground, but unless you're a climber or adventure racer, I don't see the need.

Well the general answer seems to be a no then. We were 50/50 on it but now I think we'll spend our money on something more useful.
    Thanks for the response guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

totally disagree with all the above ,the ground sheet will save ware and tare on the tent also if the grass is wet its added protection against damp under neat your tent making for that bit more comfy floor , some say it also helps with the condensation issue.;)
    so i would buy the ground sheet for peace of mind if nothing else.;).

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

totally disagree with all the above ,the ground sheet will save ware and tare on the tent also if the grass is wet its added protection against damp under neat your tent making for that bit more comfy floor , some say it also helps with the condensation issue.;)
    so i would buy the ground sheet for peace of mind if nothing else.;).

The Outwell Monterey 5 is a 31 kg tent with a built in floor that should be bombproof so there should be no earthly need for a footprint when the tent is new. Maybe if it was an ultralite backpacking tent with the flimsy floors that they all have to cut down on weight I might consider buying a footprint but to be honest that would only be after damaging the floor.

Andrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

sorry i'm thinking lightweight.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

sorry i'm thinking lightweight.;)
    Footprint = extra weight =/= lightweight..... :D

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

P1010904.jpg

.........just "made" a footprint for my new lightweight Vaude Hogan Ultralight this morning. Went down to the builders providers and bought a tarp, cut to size and that's me sorted. It weighs, the footprint, a 'massive" 260grs.

Always use polythene sheeting under my tents. Keeps the base clean and adds a bit of protection. For family camping in a JackWolfskin 6 berth tent in France most years we always use one, even on perfect pitches. All you want is one tear on a stone, one Continental downpour and then you'll know all about it! You can help to avoid this. Polythene or a tarp cut to size.

You see all the Dutch using them, so I said, if it's good enough for them, and they camp a fair bit..................

As I said, it's added protection. If you shell out big bucks on a good tent, why hold back a couple of quid?

Tent is ordered, didnt order the footprint.
    Really it should be strong enough to withstand camping in a campsite where the ground should be flat. I guess if we try it out and change our minds we can always order one then but for now I have better things to spend €60 on, i.e beds and cooker.
    We're having our first camping trip in 3 weeks time and we cant wait, lets just hope our toddler enjoys it and the dog behaves :) roll on the holidays!!!

Advertisement