Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musical Block

Options
  • 15-06-2011 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

I've been playing guitar quite sometime and feels as though I've reached a plateau. I cant seem to arrange a melody that is truly inspiring. I listen to the likes of The Smiths, The Police, U2, Soundgarden , Pumpkins and it seems there is something that goes beyond the fret work. I'd never be content with just playing something just cuz it sounds like a song.
    And its not about knowing more, I've always loathed the likes of Satriani and Vai and all other guitar virtuosos. The bands I've mentioned above have established a subtlety and feel that is so musically genius that after a point you consider that perhaps its an inate thing 1st and the instrument 2nd as opposed to achieving that "something" through the mastering of an instrument.
    I know of guitarists who can bang out all scales, modes, chords with ease but have very little musical...expression or cleverness. For example, you listen to The Fly or Hold me, Kiss me, Thrill me by U2. The feel and impact of these songs in their sexiness and sheer emotional weight go far beyond the likes of some classic rock guitar shredder w*nking his instrument for ten mins.
    I hear a lot of bands who just do what they do cuz thats all they're capable of. They persist despite next no interest other than their Fb 'Likes' and a battle of the bands every now and then. People dont even make a remark on their music and yet they still seem to plug along in whats blatant mediocrity.
    Do you still play your music even though you know its pretty boring? If you arent blown off your chair by your sound do you think its still worth throwing it out there? If so, why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭bayles

When i started playing and writing first my goal was to write killer songs all the time , i soon learnt that this is impossible . Im a bass player and i concider this my trade however from time to time i still pick up the 6 string and play about with melodies of my own purely as an exercise to come up with clever bass lines that i store in my mind that i might call on at a later date , maby strange but it works for me.

I have worked with bands and artists who have churned out crap in the rehearsal room but once you get into a studio and there is a producer involved the songs generaly take a turn for the better .
    Production has a lot to play in the bands you mention , for every 15 songs that might appear on a U2 album there was probably 40 or more up for concideration and the 15 are heavily produced ya know what i mean and the rest you will never hear.

Maby your "plateau" as you are calling it is a bit like a writers block ?? . Try looking at a few clever ways of giving the material a bit more impact an example off the top of my head would be a band like Pink Floyd alot of there songs started in a minor chord but the chorus comes in in a major chord to give it more impact .
    To be honest nobody can tell you how or what way you should be writing your songs after all thats why there called "your songs" but i wouldnt get stressed about it . It could be that your surroundings dont inspire you anymore so you need to look elswhere , best of look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Cheers

I think folks have different intentions and expectations when it comes to playing and writing music. I have seen bands who just wanna be seen and not heard, other bands who sound like 'the songs that didnt make the album' of their favouritie bands, others just for the sake of playing and being applauded.
    I know if people were'nt at least curious/offended/shocked/thrilled/talking about my music I'd be wondering if, despite how I feel about my songs, am I worthy of taking the stage. Impact is important, recognition is important. You are effectively preaching, making a point thats needed in that very given time.
    I know 2 bands quite well. For the past couple of years they have been jamming and gigging away. In the duration, no one gives a crap about their music until they're getting a facebook event notice. Then the 'pat on the back' claps and scoops. Its bizzare. They gave me their CD and I listened and forgot. Now, I'm not the high master of whats good and bad, but no one 'cares' about their music, no enthusiam is generated other than what comes from the band, which, is often f*ck all.
    Dont get me wrong, they are really sound lads but I dont get how they can get up on stage and truly believe in what they do. I wonder if comedy practice should be brought in, a bit of heckling, booing, yawning, at least the folding of arms and some fierce tutting ;-). I think when mediocrity is given praise then mediocrity pervades, which is what seems to be happening. Whats mediocrity? Bah...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

Writing on your own and writing in/with a band are two different things IMHO.

When you're on your own writing stuff, you retain all control over the song and its direction and how it goes etc.....obviously enough! :)

However, rarely does one man write a masterpiece and writing with a band can force limitations or different directions that you would never have thought of than if you wrote the song on your own. Oftentimes, its a good thing to showcase a new idea to your band and then have them nit-pick at it and make suggestions or add parts to it. Sometimes the parts they add will make it sound worse, and at other times better. Its a fine line and it takes a lot of openness on your part. You need to be willing to change it and not see your new baby as "set in stone".

Other times I find that just bringing a cool riff / chorus / whatever to the band is enough to get creative juices going. If there is one other member of the band that you resonate better off of, maybe just organise a writing session in your house or whatever. Make sure the other band mates dont take offense to this though....

But I get the impression that you're a solo artists which can be both a blessing and a curse. So heres a few ideas that help me when I work on my own solo stuff...
    1 - Bounce ideas from a trusted friend. Show them the song from the start and ask for honest feedback. Remind them though that you are not looking for them to berate it, only judge it. Theres a big difference especially in Ireland where people that know you seem to think that they can weight in on your creative direction without you seeking their advice! :rolleyes: Anyways, this can work especially if you value their opinion. But just remember that they, like you, are human and as such are prone to being wrong just as anyone is!

2 - Listen to songs that give you goosebumps, or make you feel the music etc. I've written lots of stuff inspired by tunes that I've heard. I know you know what I'm talking about...that moment when you hear a song ans say "man, I'd love to write a song like that!". Use it for inspiration and see what happens.
    Just make sure not to plagiarise the "inspiration" though! God knows we've all done this by accident at some point or another! :)

3 - This really works for me btw....
    ...and its really simple...
    Go to a gig!

And not a crappy "3 local bands down the pub" sort of gig, but a normal gig by a band you like and have paid €30 (or whatever!) for the ticket. I find these a great way to recharge the creative batteries. Ok it can be expensive, but it re-invigorates my passion when I see the potential of what could be me on a stage like that one day.
    Ok, I'm not delusional, as it rarely happens for most musicians, but still its nice to dream. :)

These are just some ideas. Youtube can be good also, but i find it can also make you feel insecure, depending on how bad your block is.
    Theres actually one more idea and thats this:

Stop for a while.

Dont force yourself to play music everyday searching for a hit song that isnt going to come. Its a waste of time and only adds bricks to your wall! Stop for a few days or so, do some other activities non-music related (go for drinks, cinema, local brothels, walks etc etc :p ) and enjoy yourself. Relax, then pick up your instrument the next week more relaxed and just have fun. You'd be surprised when the best songs comes. Often I stumble upon them when NOT trying to write something, so maybe this will work for you.

Also, don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone writes less catchy songs from now and again. This adds contrast to a set as thats why grey clouds exist so we dont take the sun for granted. Know what I mean? Contrast is good!

All the best! :)

Advertisement