Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Change on JC HL History exam - good choice?

Options
  • 15-06-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,
    so as anyone my age knows, the History exam was today. One I was dreading, but thankfully all of my predictions about the sources and people in history questions came through. My problem came at q.6. I do believe I was the ONLY one in my ENTIRE year to attempt the social history question, and I'm actually sick, because I thought I answered it very well, but everyone says that all you can do is waffle, and the examiners dock you loads of marks for even attempting it!
    Does anyone out there know if this is true or not? Ok, so I waffled a TINY bit in the change in the life of women question, but any points I made in it or in the Transport essay I tried to back up with relevent points from the course; eg:
    (Women's lives) Seán Lemass introduced free secondary education in the 1960s, and as a result many co-educational schools were set up, which offered a wide variety of subjects. This meant that not only could girls have the opportunity to further their education through to university, but the variety of subjects meant that they could persue careers which were in the past perceived as masculine. As well as this, the Marriage Ban was lifted in the 1970s, meaning that women didn't feel under pressure to marry and have lots of children, a practice recommended by the Catholic Church. Many preferred to stay in education or at work, and so family planning became common. Also, as time went by women began to receive more high-profile jobs, particularly in politics; the high point of women's positions came when Mary Robinson was elected as Ireland's first female president in the 1990s.
    As well as large-scale changes, women's personal lives also changed. The media and TV programmes from more liberal countries such as the US and Britain caused women to change their hairstyles, dress sense and attitudes towards men and marriage.
    The transport question was less well-developed, I feel, and I can't really remember what I wrote because it was the first question I did - but this is an good outline of what I wrote at 3.30 today. Does anybody have any idea as to how many marks I could receive? Please help; I know there's nothing I can do now but I just want to put my mind at rest :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

That's not true that you're deducted marks.

Many people who attempt this question feel that it doesn't require many facts, which is true to an extent, but if you backed it up with relevant information you'll get a good mark. the reason people score poorly generally is because some people who know very little resort to it as one of the easier questions, but end up getting a bad mark. If you are one of the people who wrote a good piece, then you'll get a good mark. It's no harder than any other available topic.

I also did this question, as did many of my friends, so don't think nobody does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

They obviously won't dock you marks for attempting a question.

As per the marking schemes, if you actually mention the changes and developments you will do fine. You should mention what it was like and how it changed for each point. So each point you make should have a now and then.

I also did that question. You will be fine, don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Well what I wrote up at the top wasn't my exact answer, but it contains all of the points that I made. What do you think? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

SChique00 wrote: »
    Well what I wrote up at the top wasn't my exact answer, but it contains all of the points that I made. What do you think? :L
    I can tell you that your women's rights is far better than what I came up with for that question (I did transport and sport & leisure). I'm pretty sure you shoulld get 9-10/10 for your women's rights if you developed your points well. Remember, this is only one section of the paper. You probably did well and better than most people so relax!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As a former corrector, I would say that's a good answer on women. You didn't just say what the changes were, you explained how they came about.

Don't be worrying over the summer - you did fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

I did it aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ranrooni

uhhhhhhhhhhhh now i feel terrible.. i AM good at history, but the crisis question caught me out as i'd learned only the cubn missile crisis, so i couldnt answer that question, even though i studied my butt off for it !!! so i had to do the social chnge question, i waffled a bit but what i wrote made sense, sooo .. we'll just hve to wait and see..

Advertisement