Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashing the bios

Options
  • 15-06-2011 8:51pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I need to buy a new power supply for my computer as it keeps shutting down,when I start it up it will shut down again and then sometimes it wont even come on for a while.Also It could be working grand and then It will just randomly shut down,very annoying.

I've also decided to buy a new harddrive and get windows 7,I was watching a video on youtube of where a guy took out his old harddrive and swapped it for a new one but while windows was installing he got a corrupt file error and had to flash the bios?I'm just wondering is this something I'll have to do too?and how hard is it to do?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hi
    I need to buy a new power supply for my computer as it keeps shutting down,when I start it up it will shut down again and then sometimes it wont even come on for a while.Also It could be working grand and then It will just randomly shut down,very annoying.

I've also decided to buy a new harddrive and get windows 7,I was watching a video on youtube of where a guy took out his old harddrive and swapped it for a new one but while windows was installing he got a corrupt file error and had to flash the bios?I'm just wondering is this something I'll have to do too?and how hard is it to do?

Very unlikely to happen during an install. The difficulty of bios flashing depends largely on the exaxct motherboard/bios, but most cases it is a fairly straight forward process nowadays.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So its very unlikely to happen then :)?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

So its very unlikely to happen then :)?

Very unlikely, its far more likely something entirely different will go wrong. (Just kidding) :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

marco_polo wrote: »
    Very unlikely, its far more likely something entirely different will go wrong. (Just kidding) :p

heh heh :-|

Any idea why it might have gone wrong for that guy I was talking about?

I just rewatched the video again and I got It wrong,he had to reset the bios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Are you sure the original problem is with your power supply? Shutting down like your describing sounds like it could be an overheating problem.

I have come across many power supply problems, any ones I have encountered have Bern total failure )with a burning smell!) rather than intermittent failure.

Your heat sink might not have good contact with the processor, could be a quick fix with a $1 tube of heat paste off eBay, or you case could be full of dust and gunk blocking the airflow.

Brian

is the paste hard to apply?and is there just one paste type for all heatsinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Flashing the BIOS can kill your MoBo if your PC gets knocked off or interupted during the flashing, do so with vigilence

Are you sure the original problem is with your power supply? Shutting down like your describing sounds like it could be an overheating problem.

I have come across many power supply problems, any ones I have encountered have Bern total failure )with a burning smell!) rather than intermittent failure.

Your heat sink might not have good contact with the processor, could be a quick fix with a $1 tube of heat paste off eBay, or you case could be full of dust and gunk blocking the airflow.

Brian

Just watched a video on youtube,seems easy enough.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Flashing the BIOS can kill your MoBo if your PC gets knocked off or interupted during the flashing, do so with vigilence

Ya that happened my brother before,He was trying to overclock and the clown killed his motherboard :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Brian

Brian could be correct here I've had this issue and had to add extra fans because of overheating,

Where as Crosáidí is absolutely correct, don't flash your BIOS unless it's absolutely nessesary or you could FU your board

21/25

• Advertisement

Well I did a stupid thing,I removed the heat sink without have any paste and now the cpu is gone up 65 degrees,Why couldn't I have just left the damn thing alone.I should have checked the temps in the bios first before attempting it d'oh

Brian

It was indeed an overheating problem,Installed a new heatsink last wk and I haven't had any random shut downs since.

Just wondering if I do decide to upgrade to windows 7 and get a new harddrive to replace the old one,will I have to reinstall all the drivers again eg motherboard,graphics card,vga drivers etc?

It was indeed an overheating problem,Installed a new heatsink last wk and I haven't had any random shut downs since.

Just wondering if I do decide to upgrade to windows 7 and get a new harddrive to replace the old one,will I have to reinstall all the drivers again eg motherboard,graphics card,vga drivers etc?

Back-up the drivers on external drive if you don't have the disks, safe you from downloading them

Back-up the drivers on external drive if you don't have the disks, safe you from downloading them

Well I have the following disks : one for monitor,vga drivers,motherboard and graphics card,Is that all I need?

Well I have the following disks : one for monitor,vgs drivers,motherboard and graphics card,Is that all I need?

Should be ok, you will probably get the sound and network drivers on the motherboard disk aswell

Microsoft provides generic drivers for peripherals and the likes in the OS

Advertisement