Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panic Button Relase key lost

Options
  • 15-06-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Does anyone know of anyway to reset a panic button for a home alarm system. The button was originally pushed by my kid, I dont have the key to release it and now the alarm for the rest of the house cannot be switched on as the panic button shows up as being pushed down. I have called the Alarm engineer and he is looking for a call out and all sorts and says it's unlikely to be able to find a replacement key as the alarm is 10 years old (you would never be told such things when you are buying an alarm at the outset!!) but I dont have that kind of cash to spend at the moment.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭altor

Very easy to fix. Just open the panic button and release it. Close it back up. Job done. A new panic will cost less than €10 in most of the suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Best to just reset as altor mentioned. Replacement keys can be got for certain brands but are usually only available in bulk or special order

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tirnanoger

Thanks for the tips guys. I tried opening the unit, which I managed, but it just set the alarm off. The button is not depressed anymore, but the system will still not allow me to set the alarm. It stills says Panic Button when I try to set the alarm as normal - will that require a call out from an alarm engineer to reset the system?

There is a magnet inside the panic button. This will need to be pushed up, then close the panic button. It would usually be done by the turn of the key. You can do this yourself without the call out from an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tirnanoger

Thanks a mill altor - got it sorted and didnt have to shell out for the engineer - total result. Cant believe when I rang the engineer looking for a spare key, he didnt suggest this, he actually said the only way to fix it was for him to call out!!!!

• Advertisement

Tirnanoger wrote: »
    Thanks a mill altor - got it sorted and didnt have to shell out for the engineer - total result. Cant believe when I rang the engineer looking for a spare key, he didnt suggest this, he actually said the only way to fix it was for him to call out!!!!

Thanks for getting back to us Tirnanoger and even better to see my solution worked. There are some installers out there that will help and some out for a fast few quid. You should buy yourself a panic button and replace the one that is there with your saved money to prevent this happening you again. If you ever have any other problems you know where we are ;)

Advertisement