Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple passwords?

Options
  • 15-06-2011 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

So with the recent hacks from this group Lulzsec, I was wondering how many of you, reading this thread, use more than one password for your online accounts?

How many passwords do you use for your online accounts? 19 votes

One password for all
    0% 0 votes
    A couple, some recycled
    5% 1 vote
    A different password for each account
    94% 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I have a unique password for my Google account since email is probably the most important thing I have.
    Another unique password for my DCU account (which, among other things, gives access to an email account).

As well as this I have two passwords which I use for most other sites.
    One is basically a shorter, weaker variant of the other (but I'm pretty confident that getting this one wouldn't really help someone get the other, unless they knew how I came up with it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Same sort of situation with me. All my passwords are variants of the others. Same text with different numbers for each.

I think I'm fairly safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 diarmuidr

i have different passwords for every account, its basically the same password but a section in the middle changes based on what site im logging into

spent a while coming up with it making sure it was memorable (its based on a phrase, with the first letters of each word taken out (a couple of letters taken out of some words to make it extra long) and i made sure i came up with a phrase with a "-" in it to make it extra tough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

i have different passwords for everything, it's the safest way

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Different, randomly generated, password for each site. I use this to keep track of them all:

http://keepass.info

Its a handy tool, just remember to keep a few backups of the master file. If you lose that you're in trouble :P I have it on USB stick that I keep on me so that I can access it anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I use 1Password to generate and manage my passwords, nice software aand it also stores software licenses and keys. The only downside is if you are on a foreign pc and need to log into an account. They have a phone app, but it's cumbersome to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 demon1

Try My Last Pass Vault, integrates well into most browsers. When you sign up to a new online accounts it can generate unique passwords for you
    http://lastpass.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 diarmuidr

didnt Last Pass get hacked a while back?
    wouldnt be so keen on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

i use the same "stem" password but have an easy to remember addon for each account

something like passFB1word, FB being facebook and a few numbers in the middle, start or end of the stem, its handy, I can remember my hotmail password that I haven't accessed in about 10 years

Advertisement