Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One for the lady musos...

Options
  • 15-06-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Just read about a research study that talks about benevolent sexism - men being chivalrous but in the process, being unintentionally sexist.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0615/breaking31.html

I don't really want to get into a debate about the merits of opening doors, but it did get me thinking...

As a female musician, there have been more than a few times that I've felt up against it -

Venues not giving me access to the stage area for sound check (though letting the four lads in front of me waltz by). In one case, trying to gain access in a car to a major Irish festival, full to the brim with keyboards and amps in plain view, the guy on the gate refused to check the artists list, insisting that because we were two chicks in a car that our flight cases must have been "full of makeup" (seriously!) And then made us park in the furthest away car-park - we got into the venue 3 hours after arriving.

Sound engineers insisting on setting up every single item of gear that I have, despite my protestations that I'd rather do it myself. Some could argue that 'they're only being nice' but it drives me mad! I don't see them doing it for the lads, and I inevitably have to re-do the set up because it won't be the way I want it.

So - are there any other female musicians out there who've experienced any questionable behaviour? I've always wondered if it happens to other people cos when it does happen, it really grates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Sound engineers insisting on setting up every single item of gear that I have, despite my protestations that I'd rather do it myself. Some could argue that 'they're only being nice' but it drives me mad! I don't see them doing it for the lads, and I inevitably have to re-do the set up because it won't be the way I want it.

As a sound engineer i'll just say this most time when setting up a band will have no clue what they are doing they think loud amps means good sound, not true, the reason we like to set the gear is for the simple reason that we know the room that were working in, when it comes to keyboards and sending stuff to di boxes its handy to just wire it and then get it checked, most bands take so much time to do a sound check its unreal, i remember one band just kept on stage for 30 mins even though the promoter only said 10 mins per band, thats all you need 10 mins 1 song sort a monitor level and get off really.

So the way you want it might not be the easiest way for a engineer to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭odonopenmic

As a sound engineer i'll just say this most time when setting up a band will have no clue what they are doing they think loud amps means good sound, not true, the reason we like to set the gear is for the simple reason that we know the room that were working in, when it comes to keyboards and sending stuff to di boxes its handy to just wire it and then get it checked, most bands take so much time to do a sound check its unreal, i remember one band just kept on stage for 30 mins even though the promoter only said 10 mins per band, thats all you need 10 mins 1 song sort a monitor level and get off really.

So the way you want it might not be the easiest way for a engineer to deal with.

It's a fair point, but what I'm getting at is the fact that it is ONLY the female musicians that they will set up. Including angling a mic stand :rolleyes: not exactly critical for sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

It's a fair point, but what I'm getting at is the fact that it is ONLY the female musicians that they will set up. Including angling a mic stand :rolleyes: not exactly critical for sound.

I never found that. I have been in bands for 18 years and I found most lads expect you to pull your weight, possibly even harder to prove you are one of the boys :D I don't mind pulling my wieght at all and have always done so, but sometimes lads...you know, we have, like...feelings, yah totally :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Some will but mostly we try set everything up then you can just position it to readjust it instead of actually moving the entire stand, makes it alot easier on us :D

Advertisement