Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Grammar Question - help?

Options
  • 15-06-2011 2:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Forgive me for asking what is probably a stupid question - its about grammar.
    (if its ok to ask here?)

Which of these is correct?

"She was late. Her mother and father waiting up for her were not impressed at all."

"She was late. Her mother and father waiting up for her was not impressed at all."

I'm writing the piece in a flashback section. Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Were.

Edit to elaborate: a good trick is to take out intervening words. "Her mother and father…were not impressed at all." Because you're referring to her parents and not to her, you use the plural.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Biggins wrote: »
    (if its ok to ask here?)

"She was late. Her mother and father waiting up for her were not impressed at all."

"She was late. Her mother and father waiting up for her was not impressed at all."

I think it is 'were'.

If I rewrite it: 'She was Late. Her mother and father, who were waiting up for her, were not impressed at all.

Mind you, my english is cat.

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Were.

Edit to elaborate: a good trick is to take out intervening words. "Her mother and father…were not impressed at all." Because you're referring to her parents and not to her, you use the plural.

This ^

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Also it's "It's" and not "its" ;)

Wow, finally a place where grammar correction is encouraged! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Thanks. The help is very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Biggins wrote: »
    (if its ok to ask here?)

Neither is correct.

She was late. Her mother and father, waiting up for her, were not impressed at all.

To me, it still feels like an awkward sentence.

I would go with: She was late. Her mother and father had been waiting up for her, and were not impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Memnoch wrote: »
    I would go with: She was late. Her mother and father had been waiting up for her, and were not impressed.

I'd go with: She was late. Her mother and father had been waiting up with the rolling pin and grounded her ass.' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Memnoch wrote: »
    Neither is correct.

She was late. Her mother and father, waiting up for her, were not impressed at all.

To me, it still feels like an awkward sentence.

Should it not be: She was late. Her mother and father had been waiting up for her, and they were not impressed.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Should it not be: She was late. Her mother and father had been waiting up for her, and they were not impressed.

:)

Not 100% sure. The 'they' does feel slightly redundant. Though it sounds correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

"She was late. Her mother and father, who were waiting up for her, were not impressed."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Great help.
    Who would have thought one word could create a good debate! :D

Advertisement