Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job in Basel Switzerland need to make a decision!

Options
  • 15-06-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi does anyone know anything about Basel in Switzerland or lives / has lived there? I have an interview for a 12 month IT role there tomorrow and I think they'll be making a decision pretty quick, so if I get it I'll need to decide soon if I want it.

The cost of living in Switzerland is high from what I've read but the role pays pretty well. How is the night life / social scene? I don't know a sinner there so would need to meet people somehow. Is it hard to get back and forth from Dublin, is home at weekends do-able? Switzerland has a reputation for a) being a bit boring and b) having a lot of red tape...is this true?

Any info anyone has much appreciated.

(I just tried to search the forum for Basel but got an error, will try again in a while).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Dormy

Basel is the home of Novartis who also have bases in Ireland. There are Irish people working there for sure. Not sure how many though.
    Nearly everybody can speak English in Basel. Its a nice place.I've been there 2 or 3 times but only for a few days at a time. Each time was in summer and the weather was glorious.
    There is a bar called Paddy Reillys and I'm sure if you do go you would meet up with Irish people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,754 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there. I'd go for it if I were you. I've not been to Basel, but have been working in Bern for the past 2+ years & love it.

I find the Swiss to be a great bunch. They work hard & play hard. If you are anyway outgoing - you shouldn't have any problem meeting people.Also, the quality of living here is super.

I also commute on a weekly basis (Dublin <> Zürich) & it is not too bad tbh.

Be sure to get paid in CHF as the rate is very favourable to the Euro & should be for some time to come. ;)

If you've any more questions - let me know...

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Some_randomer

Ok well had the interview and they want to meet face to face so I must have done something right. Anyone know the best way to get from Dublin to Basel, also a good part of the city to stay in as I may as well spend a night and have a look around

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ok well had the interview and they want to meet face to face so I must have done something right. Anyone know the best way to get from Dublin to Basel, also a good part of the city to stay in as I may as well spend a night and have a look around

OK, well done. The best is to fly Dublin - Zurich and stay over in Zurich as it is easier for catching the flight back to Dublin. You can grab a train direct from the Airport to Basel main station (Know as the HB (HaaBa), then take tram number 2 from in front of the station to your destination. ;)

Sorry I can't recommend a hotel for you, but I expect the agency will.

Jim.

PS - What day are you coming over, perhaps we can meet for a beer or something.

Thanks Jim, I have to get back to them on Monday with possible days I can be there next week and they'll pick one that suits them. Can't really book the flight until I hear back from them so it'll be short notice. At this point I'm thinking Wednesday or Thursday and staying the night.

Would be on for a beer alright if you're around, would be good to meet someone with a bit of local knowledge :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

OK, PM me once you know and I'll see what I can do.

Jim

If you're flying back with Aer Lingus from Zürich on Friday - let me know & I can meet you for a beer in the airport.

Best of luck with the face-to-face. :)

Hill Billy wrote: »
    If you're flying back with Aer Lingus from Zürich on Friday - let me know & I can meet you for a beer in the airport.

Best of luck with the face-to-face. :)

Hey Billy nice one would have been on for that, however things have changed the past couple days. Over the weekend I booked a one way flight on spec for Weds (tomorrow) as prices kept going up. I was assuming they could see me either Weds or Thurs but they couldn't so I had to change the flight to Weds next week. They still haven't got back to me with a date and time so I haven't booked the return flight yet...may well be Fri week on AL. Zurich <> Dublin flights are pretty expensive :eek:

No probs. Keep in touch & let's see if we can meet up for a few bevvies when you are over.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    No probs. Keep in touch & let's see if we can meet up for a few bevvies when you are over.
    Hey Billy in Zurich heading back tomorrow 13.50 on Sas. Let me know if you'll be in the airport around 1 could grab a quick beer

• Advertisement

Only seeing this now. Sorry - am not travelling this weekend & will be in Bern this afternoon. Drop me a PM & let me know how you got on.

Advertisement