Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Smackdown RESULTS AND SPOILERS for 17th June

Options
  • 15-06-2011 11:11am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This weeks Smackdown tapings that will air on 6/17

Source: PWInsider.com

Smackdown opens with World champion Randy Orton coming out and announcing his concussion but says that he doesn't care and still wants a piece of Christian. Teddy Long comes out and says he doesn't care and wants Christian. Long says he can't allow Orton to compete. Christian comes out and says he's going to win the World title this Sunday. This brings out Sheamus who says he beat Orton last week and he's the one who deserves a title shot. Christian calls him Strawberry Shortcake and tells him that it's not his time. Long announces Christian vs. Sheamus for the main event tonight. If Sheamus wins, he gets into the title match on Sunday and it's a Triple Threat. If Christian wins, the match remains as it currently stands. Orton will be at ringside but not allowed to get involved.

*In a rematch from Raw, Sin Cara & Daniel Bruan & Ezekiel Jackson defeated Ted DiBiase & Cody Rhodes & WWE Intercontinental champ Wade Barrett when Bryan pinned DiBiase in what was obviously a terribly screwed up finish as the referee counted three as DiBiase kicked out.

Note - they did show the replay of the finish, so perhaps it was a storyline thing - just came off really weird.

*Sheamus cuts a backstage promo promising to beat Christian tonight and Orton Sunday to become the new World champion.

*Jinder Mahal defeated Vladimir Kozlov.

*Josh Matthews interviewed Big Show inside the ring, asking why him why he was here on Smackdown. Show said that he heard Alberto Del Rio was going to be here. Long comes out and says that if Alberto is here, Show cannot lay a hand on him. He said that Del Rio is contemplating pressing charges on Show for what he did to Ricardo on Raw. Long said he and Show will both lose their jobs if that happens (the crowd cheered, really), but Show has an opponent tonight - Mark Henry.

The match never really happens as Show goes nuts and destroys Henry, laying him out. Officials and medics come out and Henry is stretchered out.

*Alicia Fox, Rosa Mendes & Tamina defeated AJ, Natalya & Kaitlyn when Tamina pinned AJ with a Samoan Drop.

*Johnny Curtis cuts a promo backstage saying his debut is near and (standing near a miniature golf setup) he's going to be the Ace in the hole, pulling an Ace Card out of the hole.

*Christian cuts a promo backstage saying the match against Sheamus is a bad call and he shouldn't have to prove himself to anyone.

*The Usos defeated Justin Gabriel & Health Slater.

*Alberto Del Rio arrived and cut a promo saying that Ricardo was destroyed by Big Show and can't provide for his own daughter anymore. He promised to dedicate his win this Sunday to Ricardo. They made it out like he was gone for good. Show came out and Del Rio chased into the crowd by The Big Show. Show was all mad and destroyed the ringside table.

*Christian defeated Sheamus. Randy Orton chased him to the back, then returned to punt Sheamus to close the taping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Orton punted Sheamus?! so they take away one of their only big stars? (he's not cena he cant return next week) stupid move!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Orton punted Sheamus?! so they take away one of their only big stars? (he's not cena he cant return next week) stupid move!

:confused:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :confused:

whats confusing?
    Christian defeated Sheamus. Randy Orton chased him to the back, then returned to punt Sheamus to close the taping.

historically when someone gets punted they are out for anything from a month to.....whenever jericho comes back!

I didnt read Orton punted Sheamus :o

I didnt read Orton punted Sheamus :o

too buzy celebrating Christians win?! ;)

• Advertisement

too buzy celebrating Christians win?! ;)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

I hope Fella can do a Super Cena on this! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

****ing around with the main event of a PPV on the go home show before CP:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Sounds like a pretty crappy SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yet another win for Danielson!

Hope him and Cody have a match on Sunday.

• Advertisement

I didnt know Rosa Mendes and Tamina had turned heel

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I guess the Tamina/Santino thing must not be happening any more in that case. Can't say I'd miss it :pac:

Oh, and the Curtis promos look like they will just get gradually more obscure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Figured it happened the same time the Usos turned face :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

sd is kinda short on faces

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Alicia Fox looks just as annoying as her sister,looks like AJ got a chest expansion too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Sheamus/Orton looks like it will happen at some stage judging by that. Hopefully Sheamie costs Orton the title. Although a punt normally means a few weeks on the shelf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd imagine Christian will lose again on Sunday, Orton will move onto a feud with Sheamus and Christian will move on towards a MITB win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Jesus, that ref screwed up badly in the Sin Cara/Daniel Bryan tag team match. Has any match for those two and Rhodes/Dibiase actually been announced for Sunday?

Not sure about having Sheamus lose clean then get punted in the head, they'd really been building him up the last few weeks. I still think he'll be the one to get the title off Orton a few months down the line but thought it was a bit of kill to his momentum. Doubt he'll interfere on Sunday but if he does I see it causing a DQ so Orton retains.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Usos beat Gabriel and Slater..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Not sure about having Sheamus lose clean then get punted in the head, they'd really been building him up the last few weeks. I still think he'll be the one to get the title off Orton a few months down the line but thought it was a bit of kill to his momentum. Doubt he'll interfere on Sunday but if he does I see it causing a DQ so Orton retains.

There's no shame in losing a match after being knocked out from the metal of the turnbuckle. Just like his loss with Morrison that time on Raw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

New creative recall for this weeks Smackdown.
    So apparently Smackdown has a new lead writer in Ed Koskey. Ed was moved from NXT to Smackdown. I actually really like Ed and think he is a really good guy but I just don’t understand the philosophy that Vince imposes on the creative staff. People are put in positions based on seniority as opposed to creative ability. Ed is extremely creative but he has also been in the company for 10 years. WWE needs a fresh coat of paint and the same guys put in different positions won’t give that feel. Although this move is great news for ECW/NXT alum currently on the Smackdown roster.

Segment One: Randy Orton – Teddy Long – Christian Promo
    - Although I pushed for Randy Orton to turn babyface while writing the Legacy story leading to WrestleMania (which was bastardized) this just ain’t working. Orton was never supposed to be the babyface that panders to the audience. Orton needed be the bad ass babyface with heel tendencies and that could snap at anytime on anyone. Regardless, I don’t like this version of Orton.
    - I don’t know I just don’t view Christian as a threatening top heel. I prefer him as a heel but he just doesn’t seem like much of a threat to the top babyfaces. Do you really believe he could take the World Title off Randy Orton? Ezekiel Jackson? Not me. But as a threat to guys like Sin Cara or Daniel Bryan, he works.
    - Truth be told Christian wasn’t even the first option to win the World Title when Edge was forced to retire. But that’s a story for a different day… But you already know that!
    - Good promo here from Christian.
    - Sheamus, the heel, is right. Who is more deserving of the World Title Match? This is one of the many reasons why PPV buys are so low. You have your heel challenge for a Title, lose and somehow get a rematch for no clear reason except bitching and complaining. To me that doesn’t make me believe for one second the babyface is going to lose his World Title. Sheamus is clearly the more deserving challenger and they exposed that while trying to build to their top drawing match.

- I just don’t get announcing Main Events during the show. You mean to tell me Teddy Long went to Smackdown without a Main Event and just decided he would figure it on the fly when the show already started? Makes zero sense. Main Events can be altered but not just made up 10 minutes into the show. What would have happened if Orton came out and said I’m sitting this one out this week guys? Or if Sheamus never complained about not receiving the next Title opportunity? Teddy Long wouldn’t have a Main Event to make.
    How I’d Book It: I think the concussion angle should have been the story here. Christian can come out and complain that Teddy Long informed him he has a match against Sheamus. Keep the stipulation as announced and have Christian tell Orton that he is going to eliminate Sheamus from the match, but with the contracts for Capitol Punishment already signed Christian will make sure Orton doesn’t walk out of Smackdown on his own. If Orton isn’t capable of defending the Title this Sunday then he can wheel himself out to the ring and forfeit it.

Segment Two and Three: Ezekiel Jackson, Sin Cara and Daniel Bryan vs. “Dashing” Cody Rhodes, Intercontinental Champion Wade Barrett and Ted DiBiase – Six-Man Tag Team Match
    - Oh thanks Smackdown, the exact same match we already saw 4 days ago.
    - Sin Cara, Triple H’s new project.
    - Daniel Bryan sure has done a lot of nothing since losing the US Title. Actually, he wasn’t doing much then either. There’s a way to use this guy… I don’t know why creative constantly tries to fit everyone in a certain mold and if they don’t fit they throw them to the side.
    - Superstar sent to the outside of the ring, cue commercial break.
    - And on cue.
    - I like babyface Ezekiel Jackson. I really pushed to get Ezekiel to Raw in a past draft. There isn’t another Ezekiel Jackson walking through that WWE door from FCW and I thought we really needed to utilize what he offers. One pitch I had was for The Miz to successfully defend his United States Title every week for a month or so. Miz comes out and cuts a promo about defeating everyone and retiring the US Title as the Miz Championship. Miz would then offer one last Title opportunity to anyone who he hasn’t already defeated before retiring the Title. Ezekiel Jackson makes his return (from injury at the time I believe) and defeats Miz. Honky Tonk Man style in 30 seconds.
    - Please Cody, wear knee pads!
    - Hm, that didn’t look like the planned finish. But they I’m gonna assume it was.

- BACKSTAGE: Sheamus Interview
    - Now Sheamus is a guy I would consider a threat to the top babyfaces.
    - I get the idea behind wanting to make the Main Event as important as possible by interviewing Sheamus but wow could it be anymore generic?
    How I’d Book It: Start with a Wade Barrett promo. Wade says Ezekiel is wrong if he thinks he has ducked him. Wade says as Champion he dictates what happens and how. Ezekiel Jackson comes out and tells Barrett he can’t dictate his domination. Teddy Long comes out and says there will be a clear winner at Capitol Punishment. Teddy announces the Tag Team Match scheduled next will now be a Six-Man Tag Team Match. If Ezekiel Jackson’s team wins then Wade Barrett can lose the IC Title this Sunday by count out or disqualification. If Wade Barrett’s team wins then it will be a 2 out of 3 Falls Match for the Title, meaning Ezekiel Jackson would have to pin Wade Barrett twice to win the Title. Continue as planned.

Segment Four: Vladimir Kozlov vs. Jinder Mahal (w/ The Great Khali)
    - Um, wait a second. The replay clearly showed that the referee saw DiBiase’s shoulder. You mean to tell me when you look in someone’s eye you can’t see them kick out? Sometimes their logic baffles me.
    - Why is Raw Superstar, Vladimir Kozlov on Smackdown?
    - And canned heat.
    - I remember when we brought Jinder Mahal up to TV to cut some promo’s in pre tapes and he looked like a deer in headlights. The plan was to potentially have Jinder lead a new stable.
    - Can I get some background on Jinder Mahal or should we all just make up our on stories in our heads?
    - I like Mahal, has a great look and looks like a star. He could really take the place on Alberto Del Rio on Smackdown as the cocky, rich, arrogant heel.
    - Booker T, “Koz is perhaps one of the strongest guys here on Smackdown.” Uh, he’s on Raw Booker. Even the announcers are confused with the product.
    How I’d Book It: Why not show a pre tape before Mahal’s matches for the next few weeks? Show Mahal’s background as royalty in India (or wherever). Mahal would walk us through his palace and reveal he comes from a life of privilege as his family are oil tycoons. Mahal would then come out to the ring accompanied by Great Khali who is decked out in a Arabic robe or suit along with a group of 4 women who throw rose pedals down the ramp and fans down Mahal as he makes his way to the ring. Eventually Mahal can be carried to the ring much like Macho King.

Segment Five: Big Show In-Ring Interview
    - Another Raw Superstar.
    - So Big Show got his leg run over by a car and he is sprinting down the entrance ramp three weeks later? So the injury wasn’t that bad then. I’m not that invested in the retribution in this case.
    - Um, why would Alberto Del Rio be at Smackdown? My gosh, just merge the brands already.
    - Why would Teddy Long’s office be informed about a matter that took place on Raw between two Raw Superstars?
    - Pop for Teddy Long revealing he would lose his job.
    - So Big Show went from angry giant who can’t control his emotions to unwilling to want to fight? He should be anxious to knock out whoever is willing to step in the ring with him. Instead he is acting like he has no beef with Henry.

How I’d Book It: Here’s my problem. A) Why is Big Show mad about having to fight someone? B) How do you run a guy over and he returns in 3 weeks but when a guy is attacked by another Superstar, which I may add is done on a weekly basis, he is down (possibly) for good? Hey you caused me to miss 3 weeks of action, I’m ending your career? And who’s the babyface in this again? Have Big Show cut his promo when ADR interrupts. Big Show challenges ADR but ADR tells show there was a Superstar in the back who liked his car. ADR decided he would give him the keys… IF he would come out and fight Big Show tonight. Go from there… This eliminates the foolish Teddy Long, I received a call about your issues promo and shows ADR as a coward trying to pay off Superstars to weaken Big Show.

Segment Six: Big Show vs. Mark Henry
    - Ok I get it now. So Big Show knew the state of mind he was in and didn’t want to hurt anyone. Ok fine, but with Mark Henry being a heel why would he show any sympathy towards him?
    - Ha, I don’t get it. Mark Henry doesn’t deserve this? What did Big Show do that was so wrong? He fought a guy he was in a match with? Granted the match didn’t officially begin, but had it started he wouldn’t have been DQ’ed for those actions.
    - I’m a believer these stretcher angles should be reserved for babyfaces. It helps build sympathy for them. Why am I supposed to care that a heel was stretchered out? Good, I’m glad he was HE’S A HEEL!
    How I’d Book It: Lose the stretcher. The same effect can be done without it.

Segment Seven: Natalya, Kaitlyn and AJ vs. Alicia Fox, Rosa Mendes and Tamina – Six-Diva Tag Team Match
    - When did Tamina become a heel? Wasn’t she just dating one of WWE’s biggest babyfaces?
    - We got a breakdown in the ring. Time for the finish.
    - Works every time.
    - The Divas have just become a way to fill a segment and kill 3 minutes of TV time every week.
    How I’d Book It: I don’t even know.

Segment Eight: SHORT
    - BACKSTAGE: Johnny Curtis Promo
    - Wow, that’s gonna get someone over?
    - BACKSTAGE: Barack Obama Press Conference
    - Thank god Capitol Punishment is here so we don’t have to see anymore of these. Somewhere Brian Gewirtz is laughing out loud watching this.

Segment Nine: The Usos vs. Justin Gabriel and Heath Slater
    - Usos should rock the braids.
    - I like the mix of break dancing incorporated into the Usos repertoire. Gives them a little character.
    - It’s good to see The Usos getting a chance. I worked really closely with them bringing them up from FCW and thought the promo they helped me write for their debut really set them up to be players. Wish we were allowed to do more with it after the fact.

- Usos looking great.
    - Their “ally oop” double team manuever is sick. That needs to be their finish.
    How I’d Book It: Just… Like… That!

Segment Ten: Alberto Del Rio Promo
    - BACKSTAGE: Christian Interview
    - Another good promo by Christian. I liked this interview.
    - Del Rio knocks it out of the park yet again.
    - Wow, that was a botched ring entrance.

- This match has had a good build. Now I don’t agree Big Show should look like he never had an injury 3 weeks after being run over by a car but I digress. This would have meant a lot more if they saved this match for another month and kept Big Show on the shelf selling the injury.

How I’d Book It: Del Rio is money, but I think it would have been appropriate for Del Rio to almost down play the injury. “Look people, he was only gone like 3 weeks and he came back better than ever! I mean you saw him earlier tonight, didn’t you? Big Show should thank me for accidentally running him over. Not want to fight me!” Del Rio should have also showed a video package dedicated to the career of Ricardo Rodriguez showing Ricardo introducing Del Rio, carrying Del Rio’s bags, etc.

Segment Eleven: Christian vs. Sheamus – If Sheamus Wins The WorldHeavyweight Title Match at Capitol Punishment will be a Triple Threat Match
    - The thing I don’t understand here is that both guys are heels. Who cares who wins. You don’t want to cheer for Sheamus because you don’t like him. But why do you care if Christian wins? You don’t like him either.

- The referee was clearly looking into Sheamus’ eyes there’s no way he could have seen Christian’s feet on the ropes. Clearly.

- Christian stealing the spear now? Doesn’t that get a babyface reaction?
    - I liked that finish. More matches should end without always building to the Superstars finishing manuever. Keeps you more invested in a match not knowing how it might end.

- I don’t get this. Smackdown isn’t filled with enough Superstars to even fill their own segments each week. Why punt your top heel? Now he HAS to sell this for at least a month.

- So far tonight, in my opinion, they have built sympathy for two heels. Mark Henry and Sheamus. Both heels were taken out by babyfaces for no good reason. Mark Henry was preparing for a match his boss told him to compete in and Sheamus was simply trying to do what ever other Superstar in the WWE is trying to do and that’s earn a Championship opportunity.
    How I’d Book It: For once please can WWE lead into their PPV where you believe your hero is at a disadvantage? Great Randy Orton looked dominant tonight and he has already beat Christian twice, why am I ordering the PPV? The story opening the show was that Orton wasn’t cleared to compete yet. Why not have Christian give Orton a conchairto to further establish that Orton is not in a condition to defend his Title to the best of his ability? Now if Orton couldn’t take that move I’m sure there is another way of getting to the same outcome.
    http://creativerecall.wordpress.com/2011/06/19/smackdown-recall-june-17-2011/

Advertisement