Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd strike and ST.

Options
  • 15-06-2011 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

So Third strike is going to be out sometime in the next few months, and for a while, a surge in play is likely to happen.

But I personally don't think it will actually last that long, after all, it's a game we already all have access to etc. It's a game people like to dabble in, like ST.

I've tried before to get people to play SF II and people are open to the idea, but there's no great motivation to play, unlike in SFIV.

To cut a long story short, I'm interested in running a dual SF II and SF III tournament series when the new 3rd strike drops and I want to know if people would be interested.
    They're both quick games and i think compliment each other well, they're also both exciting to watch in their unique ways.

Though one question would be which version of II to use. ST or HDR.

Anyway would anyone else be interested in a dual series?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

interested in SF3 tournys for sure. I think it will last and will have a longer impact than HDR, not just because of the features but the cult following it has. While it is already out there, its not necessarily easily accessible and is far from perfect. And before SF4 the only major SF game played was SF3. While most players will have transitioned to SF4, they wont hesitate to go back to it.
    Hopefully EVO will bring it back.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I personally think we should rent the exchange out for a second week in every month, then have a day where we play BB, marbel, ST Tekken and 3S.

I don't think any of them has pulling power alone but together you'd have cross over (I'd play them all, maybe not BB as that would require alot more work for me than the rest).

We could still call it the hype of two worlds and record as much of it as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I think it will last and will have a longer impact than HDR, not just because of the features but the cult following it has. While it is already out there, its not necessarily easily accessible and is far from perfect.

I'm very curious about 3S but I would need to have a stick modded to play on PC. I have a pad for playing mega man and stuff but it wouldn't cut it for street fighter, on top of that 3S requires much better execution from what i hear. Correct me if I'm wrong. When it comes to XBL all I have to do is pay for the game a much smaller financial risk. If it as good as everyone claims I see no reason why I wouldn't keep playing it. I doubt I'm alone in thinking like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

mackg wrote: »
    I'm very curious about 3S but I would need to have a stick modded to play on PC. I have a pad for playing mega man and stuff but it wouldn't cut it for street fighter, on top of that 3S requires much better execution from what i hear. Correct me if I'm wrong. When it comes to XBL all I have to do is pay for the game a much smaller financial risk. If it as good as everyone claims I see no reason why I wouldn't keep playing it. I doubt I'm alone in thinking like this.

Most standard sticks should play on PC anyway. I know that the MadCatz Xbox sticks do anyway.

3S does require sharper execution the SF4.

As for tournaments I'd be willing to play in a 3S tourney and would be well up for any SF2.

The issue with the exchange is trying to get monitors consistently as with more games it becomes difficult to run things with less monitors, even if they have less people. Wouldn't be impossible though. I also have concerns about going in there with minimal people as they have been very good to us and I'd hate that feel of taking advantage when we get smallish numbers, which could happen with it.

Its not really about how good the game is but more so how old the game is. Even though it is revived with enhanced filters and remixed graphics, the game is still an old 2d fighter, which ofcourse is great but it does not stand a chance against SF4 and other 2D/HD fighters with 3D effects.
    Saying that i think it is the one revived into XBL game that will definitely standout, outstanding features etc

ALSO about holding competitions at a different week than inferno. Great idea.
    But if a poor inferno = X
    then a poor day at this competition = X/2 [despite being more games]

Would it be possible to work around the timing so all tournaments can be on same day? perhaps not simultaneously. Is timing strictly around 12-6 ?

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »
    Would it be possible to work around the timing so all tournaments can be on same day? perhaps not simultaneously. Is timing strictly around 12-6 ?

Do you mean have everything on with Inferno? Because that's a nightmare and leads to problems all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I need to step my game up big time. I've decided to become Beast Fighter.

I'm pretty much up for any games that are going :)

Inferno should stay the main current SF game only.

Side tournaments at inferno have mainly proved a pain in the arse, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The reason 3S doesn't get much play right now is because:
    • We never got the good PS2 port in Europe.
    • The Xbox version is atrocious on 360.
    • Playing off a laptop in a tournament is a PITA.

PS3 version is gonna be great -- offline match recording, youTube upload, support for lots of PC USB controllers (I've tried random pads and they just work!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

I personally think we should rent the exchange out for a second week in every month, then have a day where we play BB, marbel, ST Tekken and 3S.
    I would be willing to run these, or at least, if I had help, run most of them. But I've no clue how to go about pulling the exchange, so if someone helps there, that'd be that sorted...

The other issue if one of monitors/dlc/etc needing to be brought by the crowd; this was why we never moved Wheel out of the XGC. But if its games like 3S/ST and marvel, they could well pull in the extra numbers of people willing to trek about with an Xbox.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PS3 version is gonna be great -- offline match recording, youTube upload, support for lots of PC USB controllers (I've tried random pads and they just work!).

Thats the same as XBOX, minus the weird controllers and only you use those :pac::pac:
    also i would avoid exchange for reasons stated by Dan and Myself

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

Running a tourney once a month for all the games mentioned above is a good idea.

If exchange will give us another day a month then we should try it. Perhaps if it was every 2 months it might be better. Just a thought.

The community monitors live in exchange still anyway don't they? If we had 2 setups a game and/or a strict schedule it would be feasible I think.

Personally I'd love to see marvel at inferno but I know, despite the small numbers it's currently drawing, it could slow everything down.

Tournament-organisey people, we have 4 monitors, right? If we were running 2 games at a time and just did straight double elim, how'd you reckon we'd do?

I have a feeling some games could develop a scene if there were tournaments to focus around. I'd prob work more at marvel if there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Straight up double elim would be easy to run two tournaments in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Especially in 3rd strike and ST. Fast games.

Straight up double elim would be easy to run two tournaments in one day.

Do you reckon we could run more than two?

I guess we should be focusing on games we could actually get people to come in for. Most people would play 3S and ST I think.

We could probably run Garou. There's always time for Garou :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You could run single-elim, FT2 or FT3 if you're doing multiple games (at like €1-2 per game).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

With some American majors having moved back to ST, I think playing it over HDR might be an option, though if most prefer HDR then go with that.

I'm up for running these if needs be by the way.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    With some American majors having moved back to ST, I think playing it over HDR might be an option, though if most prefer HDR then go with that.

I'm up for running these if needs be by the way.

Does HDR not have an "ST" mode?

I'm aware the major changes can be turned off, is there more under the hood stuff thats different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I'd prefer ST on emu or Xbox AC version using only N/O characters (as close to arcade ST perfect as possible, picking characters with back, like used at Day of champions). I believe there are a tonne of copies floating around (I and Dreddy own one, as well as a few other people). Plus 3rd strike is also on the same disc , so I think that would be very handy for said tourney (altho 3s has that really gay lag thing which ****s with combos, especially Urien's and Yun's, my two characters :o)

IMO that's the ideal, but I don't really mind HDR, I have a thing against the new graphics, and even the old graphics still look like ass, and like many players (blag to mention one), widescreen looks mad when playing. There is an option to put it to 4:3 so if I play I like to have it like that since it ****s up spacing ingame

Whichever is easier I guess, perfect ST and 3s on one disc is very handy though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

HDR in classic mode with 4:3 and old sprites is probably the best method of playing it on console.

We should hold off on any 3S comps until OE comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Old sprites look terrible against the new backround. 4:3 is a given.

The plan was to wait for the for the launch of the new version of third strike before starting the series. 3rd strike emulated on xbox? No chance.

Advertisement