Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sri Lankas killing fields

Options
  • 14-06-2011 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Its coming on Channel 4 now.This is supposed to be pretty grim.If this is best suited to another media forum please adjust,mods.

If I was a kid I would be watching any controversial programme.(I was lucky enough to have a tv in my room from the age of 13)

Im not sure that kids should be seeing scenes of mutilation,rape and murder on mainstream tv though.

Im not naive in thinking that kids will not see inappropriate images on tv or the internet,but the availability of these images is bound to have an adverse effect on their development.

By the way,my parents were strict about what I watched, but with a tv in my room,I found ways around their restrictions as all kids do.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from ah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Might be more exciting than tv3's curent offering, or the Rossport spat on another channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Pretty hard going alright, very brutal treatment of those people! Leveled a hospital it just said!

Other countries have some answering to do for supporting that government

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was expecting horific but i couldnt even imagine what i seen tonight and it takes a lot for me to be moved. It seemed like the Sri Lankan soldiers were having a whale of a time. The Nazi's were more humane than the Sri Lankan soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I feel absolutely shell shocked after this. I've never seen anything quite like it on television. Just another searing indictment of the UN, and further proof that they are absolutely useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I'm afraid I couldn't watch all of that, but what I did see were some very harrowing scenes and distressing eye witness accounts. Absolutely appalling.

I just find it mind numbing to think that over ten times as many people were killed in those few months than were killed in the troubles in the North. The fact that the forces of a sovereign government appear to have been responsible for many of these atrocities, whilst the 'civilised world' sat on their collective hands, is an outrage! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I feel absolutely shell shocked after this. I've never seen anything quite like it on television. Just another searing indictment of the UN, and further proof that they are absolutely useless.

In this instance (like so many) they certainly were. None of the major powers, including the regional powers India and China criticised the Sri Lankan government, instead they seemed to give them cart blanche to do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

I see the follow up, killing fields-crimes unpunished is on now

Advertisement