Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie domain for business - quick question

Options
  • 14-06-2011 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Could someone confirm if a registered business seeking a .ie domain has to use their business name on the domain, or can there be deviations of it? A client has a business called XYZ, but would prefer the domain to be more luring - called ABC. Is this possible? I've only worked with .ie domains on a personal basis, and the usual top level domains com/net/org.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

No, you can get domains unrelated to your RBN. You'll need to include a letter justifying your use of the domain (one sentence product description has usually done me) as part of the application process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That's great - it's really just because the actual business name might be hard to spell for some people outside of Ireland, and the business entices foreign visitors - hence seeking a more simplified domain.

Thanks for the response Aidan. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Bear in mind that it's called a "discretionary" name application, which means that they can say no.

So include as much info to explain why you need it as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Freemancon

Would agree with everything here...but would add

The best way to ensure that you get the .ie you want is to simply register the name as a business name through cro.ie. This will cost you €20 and you can print off the form, from their website.

This will save you a lot of time and hassle...as once you have the RBN number for the .ie you want....you are pretty much guaranteed to get the .ie approved.

- in general (in our experience) the IEDR has been a lot more strict on the discretionary name issues recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If the supporting letter is clear you should be ok

The main problem is when the business / company name and the domain are miles apart and it's hard for them to see a connection between the two

• Advertisement

@blacknight...agree but this only brings back my original point ...why not just get an RBN right away and be guaranteed to get it? This will bring more legitimacy, long term, to your product.

Freemancon wrote: »
    @blacknight...agree but this only brings back my original point ...why not just get an RBN right away and be guaranteed to get it? This will bring more legitimacy, long term, to your product.
    I'd have to disagree

If I want to setup a website to market a service (note market NOT sell) I just want to set it up.
    I might only use it for a few weeks .. or even a couple of days

Having to register extra business names for each and every product or service related domain that I might want to register / use is overkill and quite pointless.

It would be a different matter if I was going to setup a completely separate brand and sell using it ..

Well....I would agree with your point regarding the specific circumstances that you have pointed out...

However, in this case it "appears" as though he is talking about the new domain being the name of his brand/business as it relates to a different market...so...it would be even more legitimate to register and RBN in his circumstances.

"has a business called XYZ, but would prefer the domain to be more luring - called ABC"

Again I'd disagree

The .ie registry has its own set of particular rules.

None of the other registries that a business could use to register a domain have those particular rules

So you could register whatever you wanted in any other extension apart from .ie - and of course people do

Ok...think you might not understand the point ....

First....This is a business looking to get an .ie that their business can Trade Under. Thus, this .ie would be a "trading as name", thus reflecting Not a marketing name but a Business "trading as" name.

Quoted from dlofnep:
    "if a registered business seeking a .ie domain has to use their business name on the domain, or can there be deviations of it?"

( "it" referring to a "deviation" of his business name )

Thus...as CRO states a business must register a RBN....:" if a company uses a business name which differs in any way from its full corporate name;"

IEDR then defersto CRO's policy in category 4 rule here:

"Note: If you trade under a name other than your own name, you must register it as a business with the CRO"

IEDR further notes in category 11 that category 4 takes priority...

NB: "The discretionary name category should only be used in cases where the domain name application does not fall within any of the other pre-defined categories.

Which it does...as this is a business using a "trading as" name.

****This is of course assuming that what dlofnep says is actually the case ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The domain name will essentially be a description of what the business is. Still waiting on it to resolve. Register 365 did not request any documents as of yet, which is strange. I submitted a query ticket yesterday - waiting on a response.

Advertisement