Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zombie bite question

Options
  • 14-06-2011 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭

i was wondering if a zombie bit you on the hand and you were able to get away from the zombie could you chop your arm off to stop you becoming a zombie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Glebee

Had a bit of a zombie marathon of "The Walking Dead" comic over the weekend and this came up a few times. Answer is yes I think. If you got to cut of hand quick enough you would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Nice general knowledge question :)

It all depends really, first of all you'd have an incredibly slim chance, but still, a chance, it would all depend if you were able to lob off the limb faster than your blood travels from the bite to the rest of the body, say you cut off just the hand, the virus could have already travelled up the blood stream to the elbow, and in that case the only semi-sure way would be to chop it off at the shoulder.

Even if that happened you'd have to cope with a huge amount of blood los, infection from other disease and still have the threat of Zombies to keep at bay.

In my honest opinion I'd say the only people who could survive something like that would be shaolin monks of the highest order. a very small number of them have such control over their body they can slow and even stop their heart for a time. then it would be safe to say that because the blood was not flowing that taking off the arm would be safe..... good luck learning that parlour trick :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

SmileyPaul wrote: »

In my honest opinion I'd say the only people who could survive something like that would be shaolin monks of the highest order. a very small number of them have such control over their body they can slow and even stop their heart for a time.

Not something which could be done in an instant or after an adrenaline producing event I'd imagine.

you never know, have you seen some of the stuff they can put their body through all still with a huge brimming smile on their faces, they live to show the world how full of pussys it is :P
    (dunno if pussys is counted as a bad word XD)

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    you never know, have you seen some of the stuff they can put their body through all still with a huge brimming smile on their faces, they live to show the world how full of pussys it is :P
    (dunno if pussys is counted as a bad word XD)

I know of a few people who would have trouble smiling with a smile on their face.

It's not counted as a bad word, in that context at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

the shaolin monk example doesnt really work for me,like how is a zombie gonna bite him in first place,the monk is gonna kick his ass every time with little effort, what if instead of chopping your arm off straight away you used a very tight tourniquet to stop the blood from flowing would this buy you more time to do a proper job of chopping your arm off.

mr lee wrote: »
    the shaolin monk example doesnt really work for me,like how is a zombie gonna bite him in first place,the monk is gonna kick his ass every time with little effort, what if instead of chopping your arm off straight away you used a very tight tourniquet to stop the blood from flowing would this buy you more time to do a proper job of chopping your arm off.

It doesn't sound plausible for a tourniquet to stop all blood flow. Even if you could, you could never apply one before infected blood left your arm. Sorry to bear the bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

if you cover the wound in marmalade its been known to stop zombie infection

Gandalph wrote: »

It's infractable to post advice which will draw more zombies to you, such as giving yourself a delicious orangey flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Gandalph wrote: »

If you cover yourself from head to toe in Bovril no Z in there right mind would go near ya. I f**king hate Bovril.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

mr lee wrote: »
    i was wondering if a zombie bit you on the hand and you were able to get away from the zombie could you chop your arm off to stop you becoming a zombie

I think your blood would be pumping even faster due to adrenaline to be able to stop the infection. You'd have to be so incredibly fast in doing it, if it were possible. But even then, I don't know. I mean, if it were me, I'd want a clean blade cutting off my arm, not one drenched in zombie gore - what would be the point? And what if you're alone? Say you did it and then passed out from blood loss and while you were out, you became some zombie's breakfast/lunch/dinner and then you'd just be a one armed zombie.

SmileyPaul has a point about the Shaolin Monks...now I just need to find one and train with him to perfect that trick, just in case I ever need it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

How about some very strong blood cloting medicine in a needle, just jab it in above the bite instantly to slow the virus down?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

no , the rules are if you get bitten you turn into a zombie nothing to be done , you might delay it cutting off your arm but 100% zombie if your bitten

no , the rules are if you get bitten you turn into a zombie nothing to be done , you might delay it cutting off your arm but 100% zombie if your bitten

how so certain? if the subject is bitten in his/her finger the virus is IMMEDIATELY in the brain as well? :P

thats not how biology works buddy, yeah there's a SLIM chance it would work, but thats still a chance.

About the blood clotting medicine, that might slow it down but only if you were to basically completely colapse the veins that the virus would be in, which could be difficult. that leads to the question, if a heroin addict has lots and lots of collapsed veins would a light flesh wound from a zombie infect them? (honest question because its interesting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

depending, if the bite is really deep... an average blood cell travels through carotid artery with speeds between 28-170 cm/sec - if the virus travels as fast as the blood cell - and i think that there is no reason why it wouldn't - there is no chance of survival, unfortunately.

wolf moon wrote: »
    depending, if the bite is really deep... an average blood cell travels through carotid artery with speeds between 28-170 cm/sec - if the virus travels as fast as the blood cell - and i think that there is no reason why it wouldn't - there is no chance of survival, unfortunately.

good point! but an artery leads away from the heart doesn't it? I believe there is a chance, however slim :)

there's always a chance, it's not as black and white as skylight put it, it just sounded silly the way he put it :P

Advertisement