Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moate and It's History

Options
  • 14-06-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi there,
    At the moment I'm researching into the History of the town Moate in Co.Westmeath. I have found countless streams of information about the town itself and how it got its name. However, I was wondering if anyone knew any information/history about the 'lake' on the knockdomney road (a.k.a mount temple road).
    Any info would be very much appreciated, Thanks Aibrean!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Used to play football in that field! And mad 'flagger' fights with the reeds from the water :p

As far as I can remember it was either commonage land or owned by the Council.

The Lake Road was originally known as Jones' Lake Road which I remember from an old Ordinance Survey map.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Aibrean

quite swampy land for football now haha

and I hear there used to be a distillery on the land...know anything about it?

Won't tell you how long ago it was :o

I'll give the Ma a ring tomorrow & see if I can get a few contacts for you.

that would be great thanks very much :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 riverside 57

Hi, Aibrean, I was just wondering if you could tell if you know through the research you've done where the site of the old convent/orphanage is. I have read a few books about the Sisters of Mercy in Moate and can't seem to find where it is. Thanks so much in advance :)

As far as I know the old convent was located on church street! They have built on the land now and they have a restaurant (the millennium) an newsagent (news4u) and apartments built. It was beside the secondary school! Hope this is of help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 riverside 57

Aibrean wrote: »
    As far as I know the old convent was located on church street! They have built on the land now and they have a restaurant (the millennium) an newsagent (news4u) and apartments built. It was beside the secondary school! Hope this is of help! :)

Thanks so much, it makes sense to me now! :)

The Community school (opposite Mulhalls shop) was the convent secondary school. The orphanage was, as stated, where the apartments & retail outlets are now.

Also the small building opposite (now a bridal shop?) beside the church, was also part of the orphanage, it was called Chester Lodge. They also had another building on Station Road beside the girls primary school.

Bosh wrote: »
    Won't tell you how long ago it was :o

I'll give the Ma a ring tomorrow & see if I can get a few contacts for you.

PM sent

• Advertisement
Advertisement