Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a Fix!

Options
  • 13-06-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭

I finished A Feast For Crows today. I foresee a vast empty hole of nothingness between now and the 12th of July, while I must wait without an epic to gorge upon. Can anyone suggest anything of a similar vein I can pick up in the meantime? I've perused the Best Fantasy books thread but there is so much to choose from and needs must!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I feel my own winter is coming. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Have a look here and check out Books Similar to A Song of Ice and Fire.

Personally I'd go with Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, and the 2 Rothfuss books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

What other fantasy stuff have you read or is a song of ice & fire where you've started?

There so much out there it’s hard to call really. I would say Magician by Feist is essential reading, & can be read as a standalone book in my opinion cos the quality dips considerably after.

Hobb's Farseer Trilogy is one i'd suggest putting on the list.

Malazan Book of the Fallen is brilliant but its probably not worth getting into now if your looking to read Dance on the 12th. One to consider when your done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

sentient_6 wrote: »
    What other fantasy stuff have you read or is a song of ice & fire where you've started?

I'm more of a science fiction girl, but have delved into some Fantasy before. I read and enjoyed Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy, but struggled with her first book of her Age of the Five series. I've also read and loved Ian Irvine's The Well of Echoes quartet, but strangely enough couldn't get through his follow up Song of the Tears trilogy. So it seems that some authors are a bit hit and miss for me.

Thank you both though for your suggestions, I'll certainly be looking into them. Today is the first day in a long time I haven't had anything to read and it felt very, very weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You could always dig out the Dunc and Egg series - Hedge Knight & The Sworn Sword, which take place in Westeros a few hundred years before the events of ASOIAF. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Yep Robin Hobb's Farseerer! Amazing books.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rere

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    I'm more of a science fiction girl, but have delved into some Fantasy before. I read and enjoyed Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy, but struggled with her first book of her Age of the Five series. I've also read and loved Ian Irvine's The Well of Echoes quartet, but strangely enough couldn't get through his follow up Song of the Tears trilogy. So it seems that some authors are a bit hit and miss for me.
    That's funny, I was the exact same. They were just a little... boring.

Hobbs books are brilliant, she's one of my favorite writers but avoid the Soldier Son Trilogy (no one's perfect).
    Trudi Canavan is great too.
    You'll be busy for a while if you get into Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson's solo work is pretty good too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

My usual recommendations are katharine kerr, robin hobb, kate elliott, and you can add rothfuss and bakker onto that now as well
    robert jordan is one of my definite favourites of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Sleepy wrote: »
    You could always dig out the Dunc and Egg series - Hedge Knight & The Sworn Sword, which take place in Westeros a few hundred years before the events of ASOIAF. :)

Yea definitely read these 3 novella's after you read ADWD, its not hundreds of years, it actually starts 89years prior to the events in AGOT.

Well I've just finished ADWD, so these posts are very well timed indeed. Thanks again everyone for your suggestions!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

I'll second the Malazan series, it's incredible.

• Advertisement

Okay I've got Hobb, Erikson and Rothfuss to start with, since they were the ones mentioned most throughout the thread. I've read the GRRM novellas so it's time to move on to something new. I'm a bit hesitant to jump in to Jordan's universe, since it's pretty involved and I've heard some very varying reports about the series.

Anyway, think I'll start with the Farseer trilogy for now, or perhaps the two Rothfuss books before I ease myself into the Malazan series. Pretty happy I have so much unread and available! Thanks for all the help folks.

Advertisement