Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to a refund on faulty headphones without proof of purchase? Please help

Options
  • 13-06-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

so I bought these headphones in HMV a while back, about 2 months ago I should think. The thing is, I always noticed the sound was a little funny and would fly from one side of the phones to the other if I moved the jack, and now it has gone altogether.
    My problem is that I thought that the sound problems were to do with my iPod and I burned the packaging and HMV receipt without even thinking? I know that I'm in a bit of a sticky situation in terms of redress but surely I am entitled to some form of compensation, from the store or the manufacturer? Please help they cost a fair few bob and I'd like to know that I was helping others that may have had the same trouble with the same headphones... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

cash purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Unfortunately yes... now I know why wanted to know. :( Would it make any difference if I said that at the time, I was given a year's manufacturer warranty?

SChique00 wrote: »
    Unfortunately yes... now I know why wanted to know. :( Would it make any difference if I said that at the time, I was given a year's manufacturer warranty?

that'll cover a repair, i'd take it in this instance, i think you'll be very lucky to get anything from the retailer unfortunately

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The problem is you have no way to prove where you bought the headphones. Unless you can, HMV aren't obliged to do anything for you. You can ask and see what they say but without a receipt or other proof it came from there and the date they were bought, youre really asking them to do it as a favour to you. Worth a shot tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

The manufacturer will also likely ask for proof of purchase so that they can see the date. Perhaps it's a new model?

• Advertisement

Zab wrote: »
    The manufacturer will also likely ask for proof of purchase so that they can see the date. Perhaps it's a new model?

i'm sure they can get a production date from the item's serial number. hopefully it hasn't been sitting in the shop for the guts of a year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

SChique00 wrote: »
    ... I burned the packaging and HMV receipt without even thinking ...

Karma. It is better to recycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Karma. It is better to recycle.
    Ya gotta think outside the box maaaan .... the paper he burned has turned to Carbon Dioxide and dispersed into Mother Earth's atmosphere from which some nice tree will suck it in and convert into wood, which will eventually be chopped down and converted back into paper :D

I think it'll be unlikely in the extreme that any retailer will accept the cost of repair or replacement without some proof of purchase. If you knew the approximate date and approached them nicely they might be able to look it up on their database on the off chance it was the only set sold.

Advertisement