Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Feedback on MPM

• 13-06-2011 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

anyone got any feedback to give in their experience in the MPM (BA Media Prodcution Management)?

I might be getting an offer on July 1st and was wondering what the course is like, especially compared to courses like Media Studies in NUIM or Multimedia in DCU?

Also, what kind of jobs/career path is MPM suitable for qaulifying you for?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Loanshark Blues

I did that course there 2 years ago. I'm not too familiar with the other courses you mentioned, but MPM is based very much around the management side of things. You study subjects such as Project Management, for which a media project has to be produced at the end of the year, and Strategic Management, which you have to produce a business plan for your own business.

It is essentially a business course for students who already have a background in a Media subject, and gives you the ability to promote yourself in an industry relating to this subject (ie. Radio, Journalism, Film) as well as the skills to start your own business.

Other subjects taught are International Marketing, where you learn about how to market yourself on a global level and what things need to be taken into account when advertising in certain countries (I can't rememember exactly but there's something like a woman can't be seen on screen in an ad without a man in some country), and Media and Entertainment Law, so you know what contracts not to sign. You'll do Cultural studies which is usually everyone's favourite, and Consumer Affairs which is basically a psychology course, it's very interesting.

It's a tough course, there's a lot of essays to do throughout the year and 3 end of year projects (although the Dissertation isn't due until August 31st), but you will learn an awful lot - the lecturers are brilliant.
    It's also an Honours Degree in just one year so that's another upside.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 synthbuyer

thanks ofr the feeback. I have heard some good stuff about the course on boards. Im making my mind up between Media in maynooth, dcu or the ballyfermot course at the minute. The only thing swaying me away from it is that there is not much practical in the MPM it seems, like editing, digital imaging sound production. Do you know what masters degrees you would be eligible for after completing it?

Well the course itself is very theory based rather than practical based, but the idea behind it is that it's a top-up course for those who already have a background in a media production related subject, and this course will give you the skills to promote and manage yourself for you own business.

I'm going for a Masters in September in Computer Music, after doing the Music Technology course in Ballyfermot and then the Degree. There are a few people who completed the MPM course and have gone on to a Masters in Journalism too, but there are others who have gone on to study further in whatever subject they studied before the degree.

What have studied already? Chances are the MPM course combined with whatever else you've studied will be taken into account if you choose to apply for a Masters..

i did my HND (In Media Production, Film) in one year (long story). I did it after I mucking up the FETAC level 5 in Journalism. I went to St. Kevins College and they let me skip into second year, but i worked hard and got good grades (13 distinctions and 3 merits) I had to learn quick, but soon found that i really liked video editing, something that kind of hand in hand with my music editing (ableton 8) and the skills were transferable. Although i didnt really like the camera/lighting prtoduction side, i really liked the theory and media classes. Like film theory and all that. I would be a bit dissappointed if i didnt get to do film editing again. Do you think id be likely to get a masters in multimedia (like the one in DCU, lets say) afterwards? not really sure how the masters thing works. cheers..

I could never get my head around Abelton, I must try messing around with it again..

The MPM course is actually run by DCU through Ballyfermot (they award the Degree, and you use their library and stuff..) and a few representatives came in to talk to us at one stage about their Masters programmes. I can't remember what Masters they were advertising though, I know one of them was Journalism but I can't remember what else.

But for the Multimedia Masters, from the DCU website:
    "Students will be expected to have a second class, or better, honours degree. Candidates are drawn from a wide variety of backgrounds including humanities, social sciences, business, computer applications, engineering etc. and from the creative arts and industry".

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=MMM

So doing the MPM course you'll have a background in business as well as your film studies HND, it's very likely that you'd have no problem getting into that Masters, as long as you got the grades..

• Advertisement

it sounds really good. i am particularly interested in the cultural studies and consumer affairs. however, what is putting me off is the impression i am getting of landing a david brent type job after, lol! human resource management and that ..

I am really interested in things like journalism and media studies theory, but not really into business. Would you still recommmend it given that? Also, could you give me some more details on the Media Project? e.g. types of media projects? do you work solo? hire a crew?

Well the consumer affairs module kind of covers a lot of aspects of the media, and Media and Entertainment Law will teach you a lot about what you can and cannot print if you're a journalist, but the course in general is very business orientated, the idea is that it qualifies you to set up your own business relating to whatever you have your background in.

For the Media project you get someone to sponsor you and you produce your project for them. For my project, I did a press package for a band (recorded a few songs and printed up a booklet with pictures and a short bio, and got a t-shirt made), so the band were the sponsor and I was producing this for them. Other people did radio documentaries and magazines. Basically you're the project manager and producer. You can do it all by yourself or get other people to do parts that you can't. I needed a graphic designer to draw up designs for the band, so he was part of my team. I could record and mix music myself, so I did that part. Depending on who the sponsor is you could ask them to fund parts of the project that might be a bit expensive. Mine was relatively cheap though as I got friends who were in college to help...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 178sunny

Hi do you know of anyone who went on to do a postgrad in adult education or teaching from the mpm course in Ballyfermot?

Advertisement