Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the most overrated irish band in your opinion?

Options
  • 13-06-2011 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

...and why?

(Mine is U2, for their boring, uninspired drivel.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

The Script - mind numbingly bland and boring.
    When people mention that they're going to see them/ how good they are, my eyes glaze over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

the script - the lead singer bugs me with his faux sincerity and their music is bland. I agree with you on u2 but only in the last 10 years - achtung baby is still brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

The Script - mind numbingly bland and boring.
    When people mention that they're going to see them/ how good they are, my eyes glaze over.

spooky!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

You can add The Coronas to that list and the boyband shlte obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

There's a few.

Number 1 - U2. Personally cannot stand them.

I'm not wild about Fight Like Apes either. They try so hard to be different, wild and mental and all but you think they'd put some of that effort into playing / holding a tune.

Other notable mentions include Delorentos (it turns out that you can STILL keep touring with that one album for many many years), Ham Sandwich (even with the whole Immaculate conception thing with the leadsinger) and the previously mentioned Script.

People rant and rave about how great these bands are and for the life of me I can't see why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Hackysack wrote: »
    I'm not wild about Fight Like Apes either. They try so hard to be different, wild and mental and all but you think they'd put some of that effort into playing / holding a tune.

Brilliant quote.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

All of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

the script irritate me. i wanna throw my stereo through the window when i hear any of their songs. its suicide music. yer man is constantly miserable in the songs. "am i better off dead?" playing this ****e in a recession when people are already on the edge!!

The Frames. Glen Hansard with an Oscar is like a mule with a spinning wheel. No-one knows how he got it, and danged if he knows how to use it.

Finally people seem to have awoken from the bland coma that was The Frames' heyday. I've always found it telling that they had no audience outside Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

To be fair, most of them are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 thelungs

the thrills..... pure ****e.
    "ooh girl i said ooh" followed by a slap around the head.
    no matter how much daddy spent on your album.... its still ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The corrs - manufactured ****. As someone said in the paper today, Andrea was complaining about online theft when she's released a crap album of cover versions!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

The corona's,thrill's,script,corr's bland and boring.Maybe this recession will back some 80's ire and anger to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

The Frames. Glen Hansard with an Oscar is like a mule with a spinning wheel. No-one knows how he got it, and danged if he knows how to use it.

Finally people seem to have awoken from the bland coma that was The Frames' heyday. I've always found it telling that they had no audience outside Ireland.

You've not seen them live i take it. The frames have a huge following in america. Just because they are not mainstream doesnt mean their crap. Its more a sign of the music industry than the band itself

wobbles wrote: »
    You've not seen them live i take it.

Why do assume that? Of course I have; it's difficult not to have seen them live.
    The frames have a huge following in america.

I don't think they do, though. They can probably fill the odd hall, but it's a country with a population of 310 million with an immense diaspora and huge pro-Irish sentiment.
    Just because they are not mainstream doesnt mean their crap. Its more a sign of the music industry than the band itself

I do think they're crap, but as far as this thread is concerned I'd prefer to argue that they're enormously overrated. Not by critics, mind: plenty of Irish music writers see right through them and The Frames' releases are routinely panned by overseas reviewers. Now few people take much heed of reviewers these days, but it at least suggests that their records had little appeal outside of Ireland, rather than the music industry messing them over.

And they're solidly mainstream and very deeply conservative.

I'd better not derail the thread into a pro vs. anti-Frames flame war, but my point is that they are clearly hugely popular in Ireland and yet so many others just see some average indie lads doing Oasis/David Gray/Grafton Street for 20 years and go see what's on the second stage instead. I'm with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

U2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Said many times already, but U2 and The Script. I say bring back censorship just for the sake of being able to ban them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

He got it for writing "Falling Slowly", brilliantly performed in the film Once.

Your joke is rubbish. So are The Frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The phrase typical Irish begrudgers is used a lot on these boards, but I find myself agreeing with pretty much every suggestion so far. I guess it's because the fact that they're Irish means the local media ram them down your throat at every opportunity.

Fight Like Apes for example - a band I think are dreadful. The earlier quote about them trying too hard to be different and not hard enough on actually being good was spot on. However if they weren't Irish then I'd probably have never heard of them as Phantom & co wouldn't have been 'championing' (I despise both that term and concept) them for so long. They have had little success outside of Ireland, mainly because they're shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

The Corononas. I am so sick of hearing that whiney voice on the radio. They're crap.

BellX1. Seriously lads just come out as the Talking Heads tribute act that you are and do some office christmas parties. They offend me with every rip-off song they come out with.

Republic of Loose. No. Just, no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Chinafoot wrote: »
    The Corononas. I am so sick of hearing that whiney voice on the radio. They're crap.

BellX1. Seriously lads just come out as the Talking Heads tribute act that you are and do some office christmas parties. They offend me with every rip-off song they come out with.

Republic of Loose. No. Just, no.

These. And the frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

the sawdoctors. unless iv alot of gaggle taken. then they pure brill! i'd be climbing up on stage and everything with one hand on yers mans foot while the security men have my legs caught!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I would probably say The Blizzards, their songs are kinda generic "Trust me I'm a doctor".
    the script irritate me. i wanna throw my stereo through the window when i hear any of their songs. its suicide music. yer man is constantly miserable in the songs. "am i better off dead?" playing this ****e in a recession when people are already on the edge!!

But I don't agree with this post about The Script where Danny O' Donoghue is always miserable. So many people nowadays seem to have problems with all these big poppy tunes where the singer is always happy and now were having a snear at The Script for being "miserable".
    Nolanger wrote: »
    The corrs - manufactured ****. As someone said in the paper today, Andrea was complaining about online theft when she's released a crap album of cover versions!

Exactly what I said about happy pop songs but people seem to think The Script are worse because they are the exact opposite. Make up your mind people, its one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Thin lizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

ricero wrote: »
    Thin lizzy

:eek: Blasphemy!

Granted that the studio albums were badly recorded, but come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

ricero wrote: »
    Thin lizzy

.....No, just no.

Lynott was unique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lynotts brown bread now and thin Lizzy are still ****. There albums sound ****ing terrible and they have about 4 decent tunes the rest are over rated and sound the sAme. Also the coronas and the blizzards are also ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Hackysack wrote: »
    There's a few.

Number 1 - U2. Personally cannot stand them.

Other notable mentions include Delorentos (it turns out that you can STILL keep touring with that one album for many many years), Ham Sandwich (even with the whole Immaculate conception thing with the leadsinger) and the previously mentioned Script.

People rant and rave about how great these bands are and for the life of me I can't see why.

To be fair, Delorentos two albums have been very good, but they're set to release a new one in the near future! A couple of the songs are up on Youtube, in particular one called Bullet From a Gun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bevvie

Delorentos,
    The Frames,
    Bell x1,
    u2(Bono how about handing over some of your tax-free earnings and help the people in Africa rather than harp on about how we should be giving the shirt off are back to help them),
    The Script - They sound the same everytime,
    the Coronas,
    Fight like Apes
    Ham sandwich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,370 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Script and The Cranberries

Advertisement