Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future Trilogy (Blu-ray) - €15.57 delivered [Amazon US]

Options
  • 13-06-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭

This is available at €20 delivered in Zavvi's Mega Monday promotion, but you can pick up from Amazon US (don't worry, it's a Region-Free Blu-ray) for €15.57 delivered.

Best price available so far!

743_1.jpg
    Buy it @ Amazon US
    Filmmaker Robert Zemeckis topped his breakaway hit Romancing the Stone with Back to the Future, a joyous comedy with a dazzling hook: what would it be like to meet your parents in their youth? Billed as a special-effects comedy, the imaginative film (the top box-office smash of 1985) has staying power because of the heart behind Zemeckis and Bob Gale's script. High schooler Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox, during the height of his TV success) is catapulted back to the '50s where he sees his parents in their teens, and accidentally changes the history of how Mom and Dad met. Filled with the humorous ideology of the '50s, filtered through the knowledge of the '80s (actor Ronald Reagan is president, ha!), the film comes off as a Twilight Zone episode written by Preston Sturges. Filled with memorable effects and two wonderfully off-key, perfectly cast performances: Christopher Lloyd as the crazy scientist who builds the time machine (a DeLorean luxury car) and Crispin Glover as Marty's geeky dad. --Doug Thomas
    Critics and audiences didn't seem too happy with Back to the Future, Part II, the inventive, perhaps too clever sequel. Director Zemeckis and cast bent over backwards to add layers of time-travel complication, and while it surely exercises the brain it isn't necessarily funny in the same way that its predecessor was. It's well worth a visit, though, just to appreciate the imagination that went into it, particularly in a finale that has Marty watching his own actions from the first film. --Tom Keogh

Shot back-to-back with the second chapter in the trilogy, Back to the Future, Part III is less hectic than that film and has the same sweet spirit of the first, albeit in a whole new setting. This time, Marty ends up in the Old West of 1885, trying to prevent the death of mad scientist Christopher Lloyd at the hands of gunman Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen (Thomas F. Wilson, who had a recurring role as the bully Biff). Director Zemeckis successfully blends exciting special effects with the traditions of a Western and comes up with something original and fun. --Tom Keogh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

€15.56 now, time to plan what to spend that cent I just saved on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Would you be likely to have to pay customs on something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Great price and Region free too.
    Don't think you pay customs on anything under 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

About to purchase but Amazon indicates that the discs are Region -1.

Basq - are you sure they are region-free????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

About to purchase but Amazon indicates that the discs are Region -1.

Basq - are you sure they are region-free????

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

CONFIRMED REGION FREE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Thanks for the info and the weblink. Very handy! Purchase made!!!!
    http://bluray.liesinc.net/

CONFIRMED REGION FREE

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Would you be likely to have to pay customs on something like this?

Amazon.com now do an "import duty deposit" calculation for high dollar value items purchased from here. I've bought a couple of PS3 games (special editions etc that weren't on sale here) from them over the past year and this fee goes towards the duties etc that would normally be paid. This doesn't show these fees so I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that becuase it's such a relatively small amount, cutoms won't get involved. I'll find out in 8 to 32 days from now;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just a heads up that the US version of the BTTF box set has terrible packaging. It was recently replaced with newer packaging, but it's possible Amazon are still selling the old one. If it is the old one, make sure you look up Universal's instructions for taking the discs out. It seems many people smashed the case or nearly broke the discs doing so.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/BTTF-Blu-ray-Packaging-InstructionGuide.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭Basq

LOL at the thought of creating instructions on how to remove a disc from packaging! :D

rebecc4 wrote: »
    sorry the thread starter....
    i found amazon.co.uk for this "Back to the future trilogy"
    Possibly the shipping cost is cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003U6SJUY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=check_out-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B003U6SJUY
    Hi rebecc4,

Unfortunately that's not the case at all.

Sellers are all Marketplace sellers who probably won't ship here.. and if they do, it'll be £2 - £3 minimum extra for postage.

The cheapest available is £17.95 which works out at €20 excluding S&H.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Coming out at €22.75 shipped from Amazon for me, using Basq's link in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I really don't get the benefit of buying this on bluray, how can a film from the 1980's be HD quality? :confused:

milltown wrote: »
    Coming out at €22.75 shipped from Amazon for me, using Basq's link in the OP.
    Yep, gone up. So expired. It was $14.99 this morning, now $24.99.
    I really don't get the benefit of buying this on bluray, how can a film from the 1980's be HD quality? :confused:
    Put simply, native film is at a MUCH MUCH higher resolution than even Blu-ray.

So the age of a film should not be considered in the slightest.

Fantastic transfers like this make even brand new films look terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Basq wrote: »
    Put simply, native film is at a MUCH MUCH higher resolution than even Blu-ray.

So the age of a film should not be considered in the slightest.

Fantastic transfers like this make even brand new films look terrible!

True. Bluray/HD is merely a format that can contain much greater detail (ie a much better picture) than dvd.

What determines the quality is a combination of the source film and how much the studio invests in the transfer to bluray. The film Zulu is the perfect example of this. Filmed in 1964 (but superbly shot on film), and a lot of time and effort put into the transfer to bluray sees it easily outshine most modern movies in terms of picture quality. On the opposite side of this is 28 Days Later. Filmed recently (but using sh!te digital video cameras), there is barely any improvement on the bluray version compared to the original dvd.

For the record, the Back to the Future movies look great in bluray.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Ahh right I see, thanks guys! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

dotsman wrote: »
    For the record, the Back to the Future movies look great in bluray.
    I'm not so sure... the screenshots I've seen look a bit waxy. The DNR monkeys were definitely called upon for this transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I'm not so sure... the screenshots I've seen look a bit waxy. The DNR monkeys were definitely called upon for this transfer.

Trust me. Watched the entire trilogy only 2 weeks ago (Parts 1+2 brilliant; Part 3, as always, was disappointing!). The HD quality does "highlight" one or two of the "special effects", but ultimately, the picture was excellent.

Having watched the trilogy recently too, I have the agree with dotsman.

It's a stunning transfer although the McFly's wrinkles really show up! ;)

Advertisement