Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C-section in Holles St.

Options
  • 13-06-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Hey all, well have finally had it confirmed that I am been brought in for a section on Wednesday morning as baby still breech. I am attending Holles Street and just wondered if anyone had a c-section in this hospital and what their experiences of it were...........just walking around in a bit of a daze at the moment!! But cant wait to meet baby! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I had one there 3 years ago, overall a good experience.
    Be prepared that you may be waiting for the op in your bed all day, they only have two theatres and if emergencies come in, you'll be bumped to later. I was supposed to be 8am, twins born 4.09 and 4.11pm. If this happens, ask for your IV to be placed, it will keep away the worst of the hunger pangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

yeah have to go in at 7:30am but have been told I could be waiting awhile. Did you have to take antacid tablets night before too? I cant remember what time I am meant to take them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

OP, a good friend of mine has had two C-sections in Holles St, and was very happy with the care she got both times. Good luck with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Sorry Winnie, no advice but good luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

Lola92 wrote: »
    Sorry Winnie, no advice but good luck! :D

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I don't remember having to take anything the night before, just no eating 12 hours before the scheduled section and only limited water.

C-Section moved to Friday now instead...........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Ah well, nothing I can do but wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Winnie wrote: »
    Hey all, well have finally had it confirmed that I am been brought in for a section on Wednesday morning as baby still breech. I am attending Holles Street and just wondered if anyone had a c-section in this hospital and what their experiences of it were...........just walking around in a bit of a daze at the moment!! But cant wait to meet baby! :D

Hi Winnie, I had a c-section in Holles Street in 2009.

There was a midwife behind me all the time and she was explaining everything that was going on and it kept me so calm. Whilst you are numb, you do feel what's going on, you just don't feel the pain. I'm not saying this to freak you out, I'm saying it because I didn't know I was going to feel anything and that threw me a bit! When the baby's being born you kind of feel a pressure as it's pushed out and that's as uncomfortable as it gets really, after that they hold your ickle one up so you can see it. I was too afraid I'd see my open belly so was terrified of looking lol so the nurse had to almost shout, 'will you look properly at your little boy' :D:D

Anyhow, the boy was whisked off and whatever checks had to be done were done and they brought him back all clean and gorgeous. I couldn't hold him so the midwife brought him right up to me. Then you're brought down to recovery for an hour or so (i think) and you're brought up to the ward.

The way they stitched me afterwards was incredible. It was one overall stitch and a bead at either end. When the midwives saw it up in the ward afterwards they were so impressed, because apparently the scar heals better and it seemed like they were suggested it was quite a skilled bit of work. I have to say they were right because I never suffered as much as other people I know who've had sections in other hosps. The scar is so difficult to see now, you can hardly make it out.

The first night your baby is taken from you and looked after by the midwives because you're restricted to the bed with a catheter and morphine. The next morning that's all taken out, you have your first glorious shower and you get to snuggle your little one properly.

Section babies suffer a lot with mucous after a section birth because it's not all squeezed out in the birth canal and my little one was no different. It scared the living daylights out of me (first time mum :o ), so just bring a lot of bibs! And bring undies that are a size too big so they can come up over your scar.

Is that the kind of info you're looking for? Anything else you want to know, just ask. Oh and best of luck :D xx

Thank you so much for all the info, that's brilliant to know! I was already warned about the possible feelings of pressure or tugging when the baby is being born. I was wondering about what happened the first night with the baby so thats a greeat help to hear that. Cheers!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

A friend of mine had a C section last september and described it as feeling like someone was 'rummaging around' in there for their car keys! She said when she said this to the surgeon he cracked up laughing and assured her that the only thing in there was her baby, no keys!

Best of luck on Friday! Hope you're not kept waiting too long, I'd say the wait is the worst bit.

• Advertisement

Cheers Toots, yeah I hope I am not hanging around too long but sure if thats the worst that happens Ill be glad of it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Don't bank on the baby being looked after by the midwives on the 1st night,it depends on how busy they are.
    I was in a ward in January with some people that had c sections and they did not get the option.

When I was there in 2009, they even offered to take my baby for a few hours to let me get sleep.I was in a private room though and found a huge difference between that and semi private ward.

I guess I'll just have to go with the flow and play it all by ear. I'm sure there are many different experiences for different people.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Don't bank on the baby being looked after by the midwives on the 1st night,it depends on how busy they are.
    I was in a ward in January with some people that had c sections and they did not get the option.

When I was there in 2009, they even offered to take my baby for a few hours to let me get sleep.I was in a private room though and found a huge difference between that and semi private ward.

There does seem to be a bit of a baby boom going on at the moment, judging by the queues in the semi private clinic anyhow...I hope they all have their babies by the time i go in :o:D

What did the peeps do on the first night? How did they look after their babies?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Their husbands stayed too.
    Everyone seemed to have their husbands their permanently except me,they all stayed slightly longer then me too as I would have left straight after my cuppa;)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Their husbands stayed too.
    Everyone seemed to have their husbands their permanently except me,they all stayed slightly longer then me too as I would have left straight after my cuppa;)

haahaa :D No chance of my hubby staying permanently he'll be too concerned about the car parking costs he'd be clocking up :rolleyes::D

Not sure if my partner would stay all night either! would be nice!

The midwives are like angels.
    When I was a 1st time mother I found that they were amazing and if you needed help with anything they were so supportive and nice.
    Don't worry about it and look forward to having your little bundle waking you for their 1st night feed;)

On another note.....what are the visitor rules like? I know they say partners and grandparents can visit but I know my sister and brother would love to visit too.....are they strict?

Winnie wrote: »
    On another note.....what are the visitor rules like? I know they say partners and grandparents can visit but I know my sister and brother would love to visit too.....are they strict?

Apparently they've become quite strict. My sis in law had a baby 5 weeks ago and it was grandparents only, so I didn't get to see junior till they were home.

• Advertisement

Ring the hospital, it was husband/partner only in January.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Was in today and the TV thing in the lobby said partners only from 8.30am til 9pm and grandparents from 6pm to 8pm. It depends on when you go in though, I asked a midwife and she said if there's a bug or anything going around it could be back to partners only to minimise risks of passing on bugs.

Thanks for that Toots........It's mainly to find out if my sister can come in with my Dad, as my Mam is not around anymore, I dont want him on his own coming as he will be emotional!

I'd say just ask the midwives on your ward, just to make sure it's ok. My sister in law went in with my mother in law when my niece was born last month and they said it was fine. Better to ask first though, just to be 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭GoerGirl

Best of luck for Friday, Winnie!

one more sleep Winnie! Best of luck xxx

I know, I'm walking around in a daze today!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

Hope everything us going to plan Winnie, and you are holding your precious bundle by now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

hope everything is going well for you winnie and you are holding your precious bundle of joy now x x x best of luck !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Thinking of you all day today Winnie! Hope you are busy with your bundle by now :)

Advertisement