Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android An Post package tracking app

Options
  • 13-06-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I am currently converting my college Android project into a version that can track An Post packages. Still in testing stages but hopefully will be on the Market in the 2 weeks or so. If anyone can PM me vaild An Post tracking numbers (last 4 months) for testing with it would be much appreciated! I promise its not for anything malicious :) Getting some unexpected results due to An Post's inconsistent data labelling, especially if the package leaves Ireland. Thanks!

device_2.png

device2_2.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I dont have any tracking numbers for you, but this is brilliant :)

#
    I am currently converting my college Android project into a version that can track An Post packages. Still in testing stages but hopefully will be on the Market in the 2 weeks or so. If anyone can PM me vaild An Post tracking numbers (last 4 months) for testing with it would be much appreciated! I promise its not for anything malicious :) Getting some unexpected results due to An Post's inconsistent data labelling, especially if the package leaves Ireland. Thanks!

device_2.png

device2_2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

This post has been deleted.

+1

..although not sure what purpose the map serves...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

PM sent with 2 ID's you can use!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

pm sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭The Gibmiester

Thanks everyone!
    +1

..although not sure what purpose the map serves...

It just represents the data visually and also allows you to set the Destination Location as this cannot be retrieved from An Post. If the Destination Location is set it then calculates delivery estimations, and distance away etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Good to see, Ive been using track checker from the market but it seems to be very slow updating with an post for me. Ill pm you some numbers when I get a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Very nice - much nicer job than the app-inventor app I'd thrown together! ;)

I'll send on a few numbers later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Looks good keep us updated when it's finished.;)

Thanks for the tracking numbers guys. Testing is going good. Should be published by next week. If anyone has any packages that are still in transit (or will be sending) could they please PM me the tracking id? :) I need to test the update and auto-update functionality.

Thanks

device3.jpg

• Advertisement

App is on the Market! Let me know what you think. Thanks!

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.packagetracker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Why does it insist on having GPS enabled? :confused:

Didn't work for this: RT097710368HK

Did work for this and looks good ;) : RL236290588IE

It allows you to set the device GPS location as the package destination (e.g. if you were at home) instead of using the crosshair. The destination cannot be got from An Post tracking. My college project version also had more GPS based features.

I need to look into tracking ids from outside of Ireland.

App is on the Market! Let me know what you think. Thanks!

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.packagetracker

Works great, nice app!

Just 1 little issue that i have noticed:
    When i go into my packages from the menu key shortcut, and try to delete the package manually, using the X button on the right, i get a force close.

I sent a report from the FC, although i have no idea how these work TBH! :)

Other than that, there is an overlap in the two buttons in the map tab on my x8 screen. Not very noticable, just half the N is blocked in the left 'Set Destination' button. This is purely cosmetic, and hardly noticable, and when the device is put to landscape mode, it's absoultely fine! :D

Thanks for the report. I can't replicate the error on my devices but I think there might be an issue with the first run of the app after install. I'm looking into it. Thanks!

Well, my first run of the app caused my phone to reboot. But I think that has more to do with the ROM that I'm using, rather than the app.

I've rebooted the phone again and tried to remove the package and still had a FC. I know that the settings allow for the package to be auto removed after 7 days delivery, however the package i used to test the functionality, was delivered on 13/05. Maybe this is somehow causing an issue?

foto joe wrote: »
    Why does it insist on having GPS enabled? :confused:

Didn't work for this: RT097710368HK

Did work for this and looks good ;) : RL236290588IE

It now works with RT097710368HK, would need more testing though to be sure it works with all non IE packages.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Well, my first run of the app caused my phone to reboot. But I think that has more to do with the ROM that I'm using, rather than the app.

I've rebooted the phone again and tried to remove the package and still had a FC. I know that the settings allow for the package to be auto removed after 7 days delivery, however the package i used to test the functionality, was delivered on 13/05. Maybe this is somehow causing an issue?

marcbrophy, I have fixed a bug in the first run and the updated version is on the Market. Would you be able to check if you are still getting a FC? Also the auto delete function only checks for old packages when the app starts, so you may need to restart the app to see it work.

Much appreciated, cheers! ;)

marcbrophy, I have fixed a bug in the first run and the updated version is on the Market. Would you be able to check if you are still getting a FC? Also the auto delete function only checks for old packages when the app starts, so you may need to restart the app to see it work.

Much appreciated, cheers! ;)

Hi, I've updated from the market this morning and I'm pleased to say that I'm no longer get any FC's.
    I can now add and delete packages without any issues, and the auto-delete functionality works perfect too!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I just got the Vodafone 858 smart and am busy trying out different apps. Unfortunately I've come across a few that aren't compatible with my device. I guess that's what happens when you buy budget. Your app caught my eye, and it would be a a definite download if it was compatible, so please consider making this available. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I just got the Vodafone 858 smart and am busy trying out different apps. Unfortunately I've come across a few that aren't compatible with my device. I guess that's what happens when you buy budget. Your app caught my eye, and it would be a a definite download if it was compatible, so please consider making this available. Thanks.

I was unaware my application was unavailable to small screen devices on the Market, thanks for that. I have now updated the app and it should now be compatiable. With the popularity of the Vodafone 858 I would like to support it.

Just downloading now. Thanks very much.

Great app. One suggestion though. I'm waiting for a package to arrive from Hong Kong and when I enter my tracking number it can't be found. This is probably because it hasn't arrived in Ireland yet. It would be nice if the app remembered the tracking number I entered the next time I went to enter it. What would be even better is if the app stored the entry and repeatedly checked to see if it arrived on An post's database. Anyway, great work all the same. One more thing, there is no icon for your app in my phone. Don't know if its just me.

Advertisement