Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of living in london compared to waterford

Options
  • 12-06-2011 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I currently live and work in waterford, I earning 32k a year and an extra 33% on shift, I pay 500 a month on rent for my own 2 bedroom apartment, I know rent is very expensive in London so I would be prepared to house share but with regards other things how does the cost of living compare?I think I would also struggle to find a job in London that gives me the same pay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

If you are planning on living within Zones 1-3 expect to pay minimum of around £360 for a double room in say a 3-4 bed house and if you want to life near tube lines expect it to be upwards of £450. On top of that you will also have council tax which varies from borough to borough. In general the outlay expenditure for rent and water/gas/council/electricity is more than in Ireland but I find cost of living in terms of food/drink cheaper.

Not too sure of what sector you are trying to work in but wages are fairly good in London to accommodate for high cost of living.... or else there is a high cost of living because wages are high. Hmmmm I might just be the second coming of Plato with philosophical thoughts like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I work as a qc analyst in a lab, wages seem to be very poor in London in comparison to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

It's very hard to compare Euro salaries with London/GBP salaries without taking into account cost of living.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I currently live and work in waterford, I earning 32k a year and an extra 33% on shift, I pay 500 a month on rent for my own 2 bedroom apartment, I know rent is very expensive in London so I would be prepared to house share but with regards other things how does the cost of living compare?I think I would also struggle to find a job in London that gives me the same pay

The biggest single factor is the cost of accommodation, I would say. For a two-bedroom apartment in Zones 2 or 3 you'd probably be spending at least £1k/month + council tax (probably about £1100 a year, though it depends on the property and the area). There are discounts available for council tax if you're living alone, so it's worth looking into.

I've found when I moved here that most other costs weren't that different from Ireland, though that might be just me.

If you already have to pay for transport (eg have a car/commute by bus or train) in Waterford I would be surprised if you ended up significantly more out of pocket over here. I spend probably ~£100 per month, mostly catching the tube or overground from Zone 2 into central London.

One thing to bear in mind when looking for work is to check whether employers offer a London allowance - sometimes this is kept separate from the core salary to allow comparisons with salaries elsewhere in the UK. I've seen the LA be worth ~£3K per annum, which can make a significant difference.

Advertisement